cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6 deals and 4G

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just been looking at the deals on iPhone 6 and simply amazed at how much they are charging these days for the phone and airtime. I last got a 4S from O2 and just signed up for a £42 a month tarrif and got the phone for free. Why is it that now there is airtime and cost of the phone? I think that paying in excess of £50 a month for a phone is quite over the top and how can that be justified?? 

Another question is would I be right in saying that 4G is very limited at the moment so not worth getting 20gb of data at this time?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the forum.

Right now as the iPhone's 6 models have just been released they will be at a premium price ,and may go down in time. They are also very limited in stock availability right now.

The Refresh Tariff is split into two segments. Airtime plan which is dictated by your wants and needs ref included allowances ,and the phone plan dictated by the capacity of memory you want for the iPhone.

O2 set their own cost to the iPhone and this can sometimes mean your paying more on a Refresh Handset plan for the iPhone than what Apple charge sim free from their shop.

So Depending on disposable income a person could buy it from Apple and then choose a sim only tariff or payg.

Or perhaps look at an alternative phone or drop your account to a sim only and wait until the prices hopefully drop and then go back to a full contract and then upgrade.

4G is dependant on where you Live, work and commute ,and is expanding ,but O2 do not/ will not divulge their 4G rollout plans.

But even if you do not have 4G where you are the 20GB 4G Data Allowance can also be used on 3G and lower.

When you are in a 4G catchment area you'll notice the speeds. Mine is faster than my fibre optic home broadband at 50mbps !
Message 2 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If you compare the prices for the iPhone to every other network you will see very similar prices.
If people are willing to pay, companies will charge.
There are much more capable phones at much lower prices available if you look at what else is out there.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately this is what happens when Apple create such hype and demand for their products.....they are able to charge an extortionate rate and know people will pay it.

There are various other handsets that dwarf the iPhone 6 capabilities and are just a fraction of the cost. Is having an Apple symbol on the back of the handset really worth it?

Message 4 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Unfortunately for some, the answer to that is an unequivical yes. Some people are locked in, won't move, and are willing to pay any price. Also, unfortunately, Apple knows this and can charge what they like.

The only I thing I own that says Apple is the stock, so I get the good bit. Smiley Very Happy

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

It may be an age thing but I shudder to think of the prices people are willing to pay for this phone...

My son paid less for a good little second hand car to get him about.

Incidentally, he is an iPhone fan....but he knew when it came down to finance which way he had to go...

Freedom of choice and all that...but still...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

When the iPhone 5S came out, it was claimed they only cost around £180 to make......with very few updates it is probably the same for the iPhone 6.

Message 7 of 13

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The majority of younger users do not make an informed choice, it's a new iphone and they MUST have it at any cost. Apple and the networks set their prices and tariffs accordingly. It's called business and makes perfect sense. Win-win all round for the compaies and their shareholders and customers are only eager to stretch their finances. refresh does at least allow customers to pay off the handset early and choose a more affordable sim only tariff.

Message 8 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

jonsie's assessment is spot-on. Here's an article I also found that explains a lot:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2014/09/22/iphone_6_apple_s_newest_smartphone_raises_pri...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

The majority of younger users do not make an informed choice, it's a new iphone and they MUST have it at any cost. Apple and the networks set their prices and tariffs accordingly. It's called business and makes perfect sense. Win-win all round for the compaies and their shareholders and customers are only eager to stretch their finances. refresh does at least allow customers to pay off the handset early and choose a more affordable sim only tariff.

Absolutely agree......Apple are just very good at their marketing and making their products desirable.

Message 10 of 13