cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cancelling phone contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

i would like to cancel phone contract which is due for renewal next month but phone is registered to my ex even though i pay the bill does this mean that she will have to cancel it for me ? 

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Yes, unless you know the account security password and other details.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Yes, unless you know the account security password and other details.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Guide to cancelling here if required http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...

Currently using:
Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Hopefully you are still on speaking terms and you can get her to cancel for you. As @MI5 says you would need to know the security details otherwise. Either way she is responsible for payments if you default as the account is in her name.

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even with the security info, I still think they will need the account holders permission. I'd be surprised if she wouldn't cancel it as from her point of view it is a risk to her that somebody else has a phone under her name as if anything was to happen then it could affect her credit big time.

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I fear if you are estranged from your ex then one option if you don't want to retain the mobile number to move to another network is to somehow let them know that you've stopped the direct debits with your Bank. 

They'll need ever to act swiftly to set up their own payments process. 

As in the link provided another way is by a recorded delivery letter. 

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Even with the security info, I still think they will need the account holders permission.

If you pass security, you are the account holder - How would they know any difference?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

One other factor to take into account is the number and any handset provided with an account in theory belongs to the account holder so hopefully relations aren't strained. One of the various pitfalls of opening an account in someone elses name.

Message 8 of 8