cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't receive MMS abroad...(phone tries to download but fails eventually)

tranejoan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

This is a little convoluted but here goes: I have a phone which I bought in the US unlocked (LG Nexus 5x), been using an O2 PAYG SIM with bundle (and additional £10 credit on top of that) the last few days in the UK, but now I'm in Hong Kong with the same UK O2 PAYG SIM. 

I could send and receive SMS from US numbers alright, but couldn't seem to download the MMS I recevied from US numbers. My phone will give me the option of downloading the messages, and it will say "downloading" but ultimately fails. I also don't have the option of having a code which allows me to go online and view the MMS, which I think may be due to the fact that I'm on PAYG and not contract? Anyway, is there a way I can get around this? I really would like to receive those messages...never had any issues with it previously when I was using my phone for US to US SMS/MMS/calls. 

Thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Hi @tranejoan You will need mobile data turned on to receive and send MMS. An expensive way of doing things actually. You could use other apps over WiFi to send pictures. I personally use messenger or whatsapp

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Hi @tranejoan You will need mobile data turned on to receive and send MMS. An expensive way of doing things actually. You could use other apps over WiFi to send pictures. I personally use messenger or whatsapp

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

tranejoan
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Cleorift, I actually have both my mobile data and WiFi turned on when attempting to download the messages - does that mean I should turn off my WiFi connection?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As mms only comes over the cell data it should not m,atter if you have wifi on but you could try turning wifi off .

also check your apn settings against the list here http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/o2-apn-settings

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Is your phone working ok for everything else? I never had a problem when I was on O2 PAYG and abroad. As long as I turned mobile data on I could download pictures.

I have a feeling it may be due to it being a US phone which you are now attempting to use in Hong Kong with a UK sim. The only thing I could suggest you try is putting a local sim in the phone and seeing if you can get MMS that way? My technical abilities are limited after that I'm afraid...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

I think it will be a problem with the settings and possibly the HK network. Try the APN settings first and then you maybe need to select another network manually. 

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Post your mms APN on here for us to take a look at.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi @tranejoan did you have any luck retrieving your MMS messages? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 8 of 10

tranejoan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks guys! Eventually just had to switch on mobile data and the WiFi off - turned out not to be that expensive so I'm glad I did it!

I did have a lot of issues with my US sim in Hong Kong though (had to manually try different mobile services but still couldn't receive any text messages - that feature is definitely part of my package so I was not happy...) so perhaps it's just the local mobile services that's not compatible with my phone...

Message 9 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@tranejoan great stuff glad to hear you got the problem sorted in the end slight_smile

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 10