cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I buy a new 02 paygo phone and put my 02 contract sim in it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies if this is a simple/obvious question! but I cannot find the answer anywhere !

I upgraded to a new lumia 820 a few months ago, but gave it to my daughter as she broke her 02 iphone4 paygo right at the same time, my old nokia phone still worked fine so no problem.

But then shortly after over 1year my old phone switched itself back to its original vodaphone network so would not work, despite being transferred correctly and used fine on 02 for over a year??

Anyway, 2 months on I am still phonefree, well,  I am a low tech woman and have been kind of enjoying it lol!

But now I would quite like a working phone again! ( my contract is fine and has been coming out every month as normal £11)

Can I just buy any 02 paygo phone and just put my standard contract 02 old sim in it instead? will it work in the new paygo phone? ie. if I buy the lumia 520 from tescos on paygo who are also on the 02 network I am told? will that work too?

Thankyou in advance! 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

Actually, no. You cannot use an O2 SIM in a Tesco network locked phone as Tesco add their own lock. It would have to be an O2 phone from Tesco or you could buy from O2 or somewhere like Amazon, sim free.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes is the short answer.

The only detail would be to ensure your sim is the correct size for the phone of your choice. If it's not then you can pick up a blank sim from any O2 shop and they will transfer your number and tariff from the original sim to the correct size of your new phone.

Or you can have a sim despatched out to you and do the swap yourself.

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk

Message 2 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Correction as Tesco no longer sell O2 Pay and Go phones.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

great! so as long as it is a brand new 02 paygo phone it is easy. 

I know what you mean about the sim size too. so thankyou all very much : )

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
To clarify yes Your 02 sim will work in any O2 / Tesco sim locked or sim free phone.
Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

Actually, no. You cannot use an O2 SIM in a Tesco network locked phone as Tesco add their own lock. It would have to be an O2 phone from Tesco or you could buy from O2 or somewhere like Amazon, sim free.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You're right, I bought an O2 mobile a couple of years ago from Tesco Direct but they don't seem to do them any more.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
I wasn't 100% sure if the OP was talking about an O2 phone from Tesco or a Tesco mobile phone, but wanted to explain that an O2 sim won't work in a Tesco mobile phone. However, bizarrely a Tesco sim will work in an O2 phone !!

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Tesco Direct do of course sell sim free phones which will work on any network.

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I stand corrected.

Message 10 of 10