cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi hotspot

Anonymous
Not applicable

Over the past few days I've upgraded from Pay & Go SIM only, to Pay Monthly 30 days with 100MB data then to Pay Monthly 30 days with 500MB data. I did all of this because I wanted to set up my Blackberry Curve 9300 as a WiFi hotspot, and I did so after taking advice from the live chat support service who told me that I could not get this on Pay & Go. I upgraded to the minimum Pay Monthly tariff then found out that I could not get it on that because I needed to have 500MB of data per month. I've finally got the most recent SIM working after much hassle only to find that I CAN'T use my device as a WiFi hotspot - I can only use it as a modem. Sick of it all now and don't need to be paying £15 a month for 500MB of data and 500 minutes of calls as I rarely use my phone! I just wanted to be able to use the WiFi hotspot with my iPad mini on the rare occasion when I'm out and about and need to get online. How do I get out of this situation? Help please.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a bit slow today so be patient, what do u mean by use it as a modem and who told you u cant used as an hotspot? Confused

Message 11 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Running it as a modem is simply connecting it to another device usually by USB cable and running that device from the data allowance on the phone. The phone software isn't able to set up a wifi hotspot and allow other devices to connect wirelessly.

Message 12 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wondering why she cant do it...as long as ur phone supports it, and I've had a look( don't have all info on that model because o2 didnt sell it) based on the menu options I dont see any reason why not? And you can do it as long as it's for personal use and ur restricted to ur data allowance...

Message 13 of 26

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes it seems you need OS 7 which can't be installed on my phone.

It seems that the os doesn't have that option.

Message 14 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

just copied this from gsm arena...so dont think it's the software...all u need to do if the menus are like my curve, is tick wifi and hotspot...?

Data
GPRSClass 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps
EDGEClass 10, 236.8 kbps
SpeedHSDPA
WLANWi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, UMA (carrier dependent)
Bluetoothv2.1, A2DP
USBmicroUSB v2.0
Message 15 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found a thread on the BB forum ( that is very very similar to ours?)that says it cant be done slight_frown the phone cant take more than BB OSv6... so if they r right it cant be done...Sad

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Curve/curve-9300-as-wifi-hotspot/m-p/1710625#M1602...

Ps Did they copy our forum or did we copy theirs?

Message 16 of 26

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Not too sure on that, I don't think there's any copying gone on just shared knowledge slight_smile

Message 17 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Come on! U didn't notice the layout? The member information, the levels....??Angel

Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
I see both forums are powered by Lithium!
Message 19 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

just copied this from gsm arena...so dont think it's the software...all u need to do if the menus are like my curve, is tick wifi and hotspot...?

Mine does not have that option. Apparently the Curve 9300 is not capable of it but other Curve models are.
Message 20 of 26