O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Pay Monthly and Pay & Go

Level 2: Apprentice
sjrw

When a contract ends

Here's what i asked of o2 Customer "Service":

yet again I have spoken to someone from O2 who said that my account no longer exists. I cancelled the account (GAVE NOTICE) months ago. Far in advance of the thirty days required and I am still getting bills for a non existent contract which I have not ever asked to be extended. Even after I had the phone unlocked to other networks at the beginning of the year and I was told by an O2 representative that my contract would DEFINITELY end on the anniversary date.

I did not ask to extend.

I never agreed to an extension.

I advised O2 that I was giving my telephone away.

I Gave notice of around two to three months.

I am fairly sure that the law would not expect me to pay for a contract that I gave notice on and was never asked if I wanted to carry on. My notice is final and I am not in a position where I can give EXACTLY 30 days notice. Notice is notice. So long as it is not LESS than 30 days. If O2 systems are not up to processing notice in excess of 30 days then they really should not be in business with customers.

An O2 representative called me back on my THREE number and said he could not find any record of an account for me. I asked for this in writing in an email but he just said that, as the calls are recorded, it was not necessary. Listen, O2, it is ALWAYS necessary.

Please use plain text.
sjrw

Re: When a contract ends

My reason for writing this on here is that I have just had my second bill since my contract ENDED. Now it's for two months of my NON-EXISTENT contract.
Please use plain text.
DaveC
Topics: 23
Kudos: 77
Solutions: 24

You contract moved to a rolling contract 30 days cancellation.

What you thought you signed up for is in fact the Minimum Term.

It has always been that way.

You have to actively end it if you don't want to continue.

To contact O2 click "Contact us" at the bottom of any O2 page, and click the service you need, or wait for "Live Chat" to appear.

Mobile since 1993
Please use plain text.
sjrw

and that is what i did in january/february and was told by an o2 rep that my contract would end on 24th april - I would have to do nothing else...
I became suspicious when I received an o2 bill AFTER that date, then another today for two months...
Please use plain text.
sjrw

I started a live chat around half an hour ago.(Kieron)
When I stated what my problem was I was told he would be away for a few minutes to find out.
And I'm still waiting (cue Diana Ross, na na na na naaa, I'm waiting...)
I think I will have to give up on him.
Please use plain text.
DaveC

If your contract ended in April you could not give notice in Jan/Feb so either the rep told you wrong or you misunderstood. 

Official notice should have been given in March.

To contact O2 click "Contact us" at the bottom of any O2 page, and click the service you need, or wait for "Live Chat" to appear.

Mobile since 1993
Please use plain text.
sjrw

There is not a court in this land that would not find in my favour as I gave notice. I spend a lot of time in spain, simply not using the english phone, and I am sure that there are many like me. So you expect us to come back to UK or make an english phone contract more important than whatever I am doing in Spain. I don't think so and you will never ever convince me otherwise.
Notice is notice.
If I gave them 10 days notice they would say, too late.
If I gave 31 days notice they would then say, sorry you have to do it tomorrow or we can't accept it.
Do you realise how ludicrous that sounds.
Please use plain text.
DaveC

sjrw wrote:
There is not a court in this land that would not find in my favour as I gave notice. I spend a lot of time in spain, simply not using the english phone, and I am sure that there are many like me. So you expect us to come back to UK or make an english phone contract more important than whatever I am doing in Spain. I don't think so and you will never ever convince me otherwise.
Notice is notice.
If I gave them 10 days notice they would say, too late.
If I gave 31 days notice they would then say, sorry you have to do it tomorrow or we can't accept it.
Do you realise how ludicrous that sounds.

I appreciate you are angry, but I am telling you how it is. If you examine the Terms and Conditions of the contract you will find it there.

"Your Pay Monthly Mobile Agreement has a minimum contract term called a minimum period. After that minimum period, you can end the Agreement by giving us 30 days’ notice."

You can end a contract early but you are liable to pay off the remaining months - obvioulsy this did not happen.

I have had contracts with different suppliers since 1993 and the terms have all been similar. 

As you say "I will never convince you" so I will leave it at this.

Mobile since 1993
Please use plain text.
sjrw

"you can end the Agreement by giving us 30 days’ notice"

It does not say "exactly 30 days' notice"
I did give them 30 days. In fact I gave them a lot more, hence no court in this land would not find in my favour.
Please use plain text.
perksie
Topics: 229
Solutions: 1,536

[ Edited ]

There is a lot of confusion here and I don't think you're telling us the full story.

Yes, you can give notice mid-contract but you still have to pay the full term as DaveC has explained to you.

I can't believe you're getting bills without O2 having a record of this contract.

Making up your own rules won't help.

You won't listen to me either so I'll leave you to deal with it as best as you can.

Please support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to send help to the Philippines.
Text DEC to 70000 (free text) to donate £5 or online: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Legacy O2 Simplicity 20 - O2 Wallet - Nexus 4 Android 4.4.4
Please use plain text.