cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

I purchased a 640 phone for cash.  I decided to use pay as you go.  I now want to switch supplier to BT on contract.  02 gave me a PAC code no problem.  I pet new SIM card into my phone and it told me I had to contact 02 to unlock the phone.  I rang 02 and after a long conversation was told that I would get a call giving me the unlock code.  24 hours later I rang 02 again and this time I was told as I have not had the phone for a year their policy was not to unlock my phone.  Who`s phone is it? I paid the full price for the phone, how dare 02 tell me I cannot use it because I want to change suppliers.  I was not given any `small print` when I purchased the phone, so presumed I could use whatever supplier I chose.

Do I need to go to the expense of a Small Claims Court to get my phone opened or my money refunded.

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
As jonsie has said, unfortunately there is a 12 month rule in place for PAYG phones.
For future reference, if you buy from Carphone Warehouse, they are already unlocked (except iPhones).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

jonsie
  • 93187 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

With the pay and go phones the network insist it is used on O2 for 12 months before unlocking. This is usually because the network subsidise the phone. Only exception is the iphone.

You can make a complaint but it's doubtful whether O2 would relax the rules.

How to complain

Message 2 of 3

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
As jonsie has said, unfortunately there is a 12 month rule in place for PAYG phones.
For future reference, if you buy from Carphone Warehouse, they are already unlocked (except iPhones).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 3