cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking a new handset from a recent upgrade

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi My hubby is thinking of getting an upgrade early.

But we want to know once we recive the Samsung S4 (thats the phone he wants) can O2 unlock it for free for us (he's on a monthly contract).

Obviously we know we have to keep on paying for the total term of the new contract, but is this ok?

or

does he have to have the new handset for a certain time then we can ask if it can be unlocked?

I'm really wary of asking on the Chat feature becuse they give you the wrong information 😞

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Yes they will unlock it free for monthly customers. Just fill in the form in my signature links.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Yes they will unlock it free for monthly customers. Just fill in the form in my signature links.

Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks jonsie cos we wanted to give the new phone to my son he'll be 16 and we couldnt afford to get him a brand new phone on its own xx

Message 3 of 17

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very lucky indeed
Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you adopt at all ? wink
Message 6 of 17

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Do you adopt at all ? wink

Only worthy causes wink

There is a community help thread about unlocking here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/td-p/540294

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks jonsie
@Anonymous Remember to return to your discussion to mark a post as your solution if you found one! See you around slight_smile
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I'll adopt you but you have to do the household chores Lool x
Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Expensive advice @Anonymous

A years worth of chores for an S4. My advice? Buy the lady a Sim Free handset.

On that note has the OP considered the cost of the early upgrade against the cost of a sim free device for example from giffgaff?

It might work out cheaper AND / OR your hubby may then benefit from the upgrade himself when the time comes. Just a thought. ....
Message 10 of 17