cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorised upgrade when asking for pac code

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two days ago I asked O2's web chat staff for a pac code. They kept trying to sell a new contract so the chat took 1.5 hours! I declined all offers and eventually got the code. 

Yesterday I saw on my account that O2 had renewed my contract without permission. I asked web chat staff to remove the upgrade and to log a complaint that this had happened. They said the upgrade would be removed from my account within 24 hours. This has not happened. They also said they would log my complaint but then refused and said I should refer to the O2 complaints webpage - which says that web chat staff can receive complaints. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor, which took 1/2 hour, who also refused to log my complaint. The whole web chat took 2.5 hours and actually did nothing. They did not correct the upgrade nor log my complaint. 

It is apparently very easy for staff to collect commissions on upgrades which are not needed and not agreed. It is apparently very hard to correct this malpractice. I see on reviews of O2 that this problem has remained unresolved for a long time, 

http://www.s21.com/o2.htm Perhaps this type of fraud continues to be tolerated by O2 as they benefit from locking in customers who don't use the pac code in time?

Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122931 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

All I can say is it's a damn good job @Anonymous was so vigilant...Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good idea to email CEO; done. TY@Cleoriff 🙂

Message 12 of 56

jonsie
  • 93240 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
There will always be bad apples in any group.....it's almost impossible to eliminate them.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 14 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

Though this is more a case of a bad tree? O2 sales techniques and pac process set up to cause the problem. O2 corporate culture set up to prevent solutions to the problem. No action has been taken to resolve either my specific case or the company's systemic failures. O2 is so far unwilling or unable to act against fraud committed in its name. If anyone in the company can do any better I'd like to hear about it.

Message 15 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had an email from O2 'mycare', "Good news, we've now completed your tariff change to O2 500 24M 500MB

4G. ... If you have a query about your service please visit www.o2.co.uk/help or email us at mailto:mycare@o2mail.co.uk where it will receive our attention.

Regards, O2 Customer Care

When I replied to that address asking for help they said, "Thanks for your email, but we have now shut down our email support service."

Perhaps both O2's complaint review service and their 'mycare customer care' are just no-care no-service no-support autoresponders? 

Message 16 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

Copy of my reply to the O2 complaints review service:

Thanks for your response. I wouldn’t say it’s a full response as it resolves neither of the main problems I experienced. 

1. The unauthorised upgrade is still applied to my account. You are the fourth person at O2 to fail to fix this. 

2. Your complaints page says the web chat staff should take formal complaints. If there is no formal response acknowledging a complaint then it’s not a complaint, it’s only feedback. If web chat staff cannot take complaints then you should change your page to specify the lower lever of service actually available. 

You would know more about the wider issue, of this problem recurring at O2, if O2 staff actually recorded complaints rather than refusing them. You appear to be overlooking the total failure of the complaints process both to solve my specific case and to prevent it continuing to happen at O2. If staff can refuse to log complaints then you’ll never even know the extent of the problem. It seems customers who have asked for pac codes are fair game for being messed around in return for undeserved commissions.  

I don’t feel you’ve made a serious effort to resolve anything and other customers remain totally unprotected against this happening to them in future; so I’m not happy. I have already wasted more than a working day in attempting to sort out this nonsense so I’ll be less happy if I need to now contact the Financial Ombudsman Service. 

Best regards

James

Message 17 of 56

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Nice reply but in my experience it won't get you any where, unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the surprise contract renewals and avoidance of complaints seem very deeply entrenched. 

I do hope however that someone in O2 can get around to removing the dodgy upgrade?

Message 19 of 56

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
You would hope so
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 56