cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling Europe - is o2 travel worth it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Im traveling to europe (western and eastern) for abour 2 1/2 months. I'm wondering whether to get the o2 travel for 1.99/day data or just completley turn on roaming and use wifi. I know there wont always be wifi available though. 

If i get the o2 travel but dont use any data for a day, am i still charged 1.99 or are you only charged when you actually use it?

I really dont want to end up with a massive bill but i will using instagram and facebook a lot. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

O2 travel is worth it...for when you need to use it.

I travel to Spain all the time and have data roaming turned OFF....I am lucky enough to use a lot of WiFi.... You are only charged for the actual day you turn roaming on....

So many other ways to stay in touch with family though...Messenger, Skype etc... all over WiFi obviously

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-europe

http://www.o2.co.uk/international/internationalhub

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It might be worth you looking at Three's "Feel at Home" to see if it covers the countries you are travelling to also.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi

Im traveling to europe (western and eastern) for abour 2 1/2 months. I'm wondering whether to get the o2 travel for 1.99/day data or just completley turn on roaming and use wifi. I know there wont always be wifi available though. 

If i get the o2 travel but dont use any data for a day, am i still charged 1.99 or are you only charged when you actually use it?

I really dont want to end up with a massive bill but i will using instagram and facebook a lot. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Just some food for thought:

O2 Travel - £1.99/day multiplied by 45 days (2.5 months) = £89.55 in total

Spanish ORANGE Prepaid SIM card Go Europe (works all over EU) - 1EUR/day for 100MB = 45EUR plus EUR25 for delivery, although the initial EUR5 credit is included, therefore 45+20=65EUR = about £50. You can order one from https://roamerapp.com/en/sim-shop/, just select any EU contry from the list. That said, I haven't tried that one yet, just know that it does exist slight_smile

Message 4 of 9

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi

Thanks for any advice. 

Also, if you got some Irish mates coming to the UK before your travel takes place, or Ireland is one of your destinations, it could be worth getting a Meteor SIM (Meteor is one of the networks in Ireland), They offer 1GB EU data add-onns for EUR14.99, so that might be an option worth considering.

Message 5 of 9

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

There's no upper usage limit, but data speeds will vary with usage

Taken from the o2 site. Wonder how much you can use before they slow you down so much its not worth bothering with? Bet its not much

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
100mb
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help everyone, lots of helpful advice for me to look into. 

Message 8 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Best of luck....and have a great holiday wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 9