cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of phone number taking ages

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I went to O2 on Friday to upgrade, and I got a new iPhone. With that, came a new SIM card. Because I wanted to keep the number, I was instructed by the sales assistant that I should call up, terminate the current contract (one month to go) and transfer the number to the new SIM card given on a new account. After completing all security questions successfully and handing over correct information, I was told the number has been transferred. It's been at least 24h, and the number still hasn't changed on my new sim. I need to use my old SIM card (waiting until it stops working) so that I can use my old number.. I'm really frustrated because the live chat was useless, and the customer service team have about 2 workers picking up the phone. I've tried the sim swap, but it says my number is being transferred already. What can I do? I'm at my wits end..
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Numbers don't transfer over weekends so if the request was made Friday it will be done on Tuesday.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Numbers don't transfer over weekends so if the request was made Friday it will be done on Tuesday.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
Seems strange that they would make you take a new contract rather than just upgrade your account - a process which is a great deal quicker than waiting for your whole account to transfer to your new one.
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Should've just been a straight forward upgrade & sim swap

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@version7point0 wrote:
Seems strange that they would make you take a new contract rather than just upgrade your account - a process which is a great deal quicker than waiting for your whole account to transfer to your new one.

meeting targets for new connections. I'll bet it's a franchise store ?

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5