cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three to buy O2 in the UK

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear O2,

A number of newspapers reported yesterday that Three is buying O2 in the UK. It would be much appreciated if you could confirm that the news reports about the acquisition are true and Hutchinson Whampoa (a.k.a. Three) is buying O2 and when the deal is expected to be completed.

Having been a very loyal customer to date and having joined O2 in 2005, I would advise O2 against any such action. In 2005, I moved from Three to O2 as a result of HORRENDOUS customer service, which customer service has NOT IMPROVED AT ALL since then (my in-laws only moved last month from Three for the same reason: absolutely atrocious customer service).

In case the deal goes ahead and Three do actually acquire O2, I wish to advise you that I will without hesitation leave O2 quicker than the speed of light and no re-assurance will convince me to stay. Furthermore, I guarantee you that anyone who is on either O2 or GiffGaff I know (including business customers) will follow suit.

Thank you in advance

Kind Regards

Damian

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
All just words we've heard many times before......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis ...By heck your right but I still stand by my comment!!!! & thanks for the kudos Bouncy

Message 22 of 31

RueDrBouree
  • 45 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi

Firstly I guess its Telefonica who are selling O2 UK rather than O2 selling itself to three. 

Secondly the end product might be great. Three have some good deals and they don't charge for roaming in a number of countries. The combined O2/Three network should offer a good signal strength. 

OK Three's customer service can be a bit difficult to deal with, but how often do we need to phone them?

Also what network do you move to. BT are trying to buy EE and BT's overseas call centers can be really bad. 

Just my view.

Alex

Been an O2 customer (off and on) since 1995
Message 23 of 31

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes.... we are hoping they will combine all the good bits and dump the bad.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 31

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Considering where i work the o2 network is crap and the Three network is meant to be decent by all accounts, then hoping we can share masts

Have any market "experts" predicted what would happen if/when they do merge? Usually not short of these people coming out and predicting what will happen when 2 companies merge

Message 25 of 31

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Interesting i found this on Three's website

O2 and Three have come together to create a stronger network. So for customers previously on O2, wherever the O2 logo once appeared, you will now see the Three logo – in stores, online, on your phone and your bill or top up receipt. Although the logo has changed, your contract, coverage, care and terms remain the same. And from June 2015 you can enjoy exciting developments like improved data coverage and superfast 4G. For Three customers, our front-line Customer Care has moved to Limerick and it will be supported by a brand new centre in Waterford and our current team in India. As well as that, we will continue to roll our super-fast 4G out over the coming months.
Three logo will appear on our bills? This deal has been agreed but nothing finalised yet until it gets approval

Message 26 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@paulbacon wrote:

Interesting i found this on Three's website

O2 and Three have come together to create a stronger network. So for customers previously on O2, wherever the O2 logo once appeared, you will now see the Three logo – in stores, online, on your phone and your bill or top up receipt. Although the logo has changed, your contract, coverage, care and terms remain the same. And from June 2015 you can enjoy exciting developments like improved data coverage and superfast 4G. For Three customers, our front-line Customer Care has moved to Limerick and it will be supported by a brand new centre in Waterford and our current team in India. As well as that, we will continue to roll our super-fast 4G out over the coming months.
Three logo will appear on our bills? This deal has been agreed but nothing finalised yet until it gets approval

That's actually from Three Ireland's website. Nothing has been decided yet about the future of O2 in the UK, but some observers have commented that Three's owners Hutchinson Whampoa may decide to keep the brand because of its strong reputation for customer service. We'll just have to wait and see. 

Message 27 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
So when are us o2 uk customers going to get to enjoy the better coverage from 3? o2 reception in my area is awful compared to 3.
Message 28 of 31

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 29 of 31

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just as soon as everything is finalised and approved.

Currently using:
Message 30 of 31