cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messages sent to a Singapore number when changing handsets

Anonymous
Not applicable

My LG handset has recently been sent to repair (three times!), via Carphone Warehouse, and I was loaned a replacement handset (a low-spec Huawei one) each time.  During the process of setting-up the replacement phone, it seems that text messages were sent from my number to (a number in Singapore) - and these have been shown on my bill (on multiple times, both when setting-up the new handset replacement).  I am keen to get a refund of course, but also some confirmation of what the text message was for (it didn't appear in my sent messages), and that my data hasn't been compromised.

Thanks,

Richard.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The phone has sent them automatically when you set up your McAfee security app - it is a confirmation text code.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The phone has sent them automatically when you set up your McAfee security app - it is a confirmation text code.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Only CS can help you with this. Give them a call http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Thanks for that @MI5 I had absolutely no idea. Another thing I have learnt today...Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yup

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response.  I didn't explicitly setup mcAfee security app - maybe it is part of the default software build?  I also don't expect to have had to have been charged for them, especially not about 10-12 times on one particular day.

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I wouldn't expect it to send that many texts either myself.
McAfee CS can be contacted here to question them about it http://www.mcafee.com/uk/about/contact-us.aspx#ht=tab-techsupport

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for link to McAfeee.  I tried their online chat, but they couldn't help as I didn't have a regsitered product.  And that's the weird thing - I didn't even notice whether McAfee was installed on the temporary phone (a Huawei Y6 I think). Online forums refer to an app called 'WaveSecure' (which I think McAfee may have bought).

Message 8 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Either way you should not be charged for sending texts that you didnt generate Why dont you speak to CPW as thats where you got the loan phone from?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's usually just 1 or 2 texts at most and you should get a warning - just opening the app with send the first text.
I had this when I first got my z5 but I don't use McAfee so I deleted the app.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10