cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering on iPhone 4s

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

When I try to set up my personal hotspot, I click on the link 'Set up personal hotspot', in the cellular menu. I then get the message:

To enable Personal Hotspot on this account, visit http://www.o2.co.uk/iphonehelp/modem

When I go to this address, I arrive at www.o2.co.uk.

My tariff is simplicity £19 (1gb data, unlimited calls and texts)

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi MI5, thanks for your reply. Where do I get this specific iPhone application, and how do I check that it's set to I data?

Also, who is CS, whom I need to check with that I have data on my account?

Thanks

Contact CS on the numbers on the link I gave you or request it through live chat.

On the phone, look under network settings and see what apn is set.

It should be iData.o2.co.uk

See jonsie's help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Connecting-iPhone-to-Data-Services/m-p/544210#U544210

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need a specific iPhone apn to be able to tether.
Check if it is set to iData and confirm with CS that you have data for iPhone on your account.
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi MI5, thanks for your reply. Where do I get this specific iPhone application, and how do I check that it's set to I data?

Thanks
Message 3 of 10

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's redirecting you because you aren't on the correct tariff or settings for tethering. 

Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks

Contact CS on the numbers on the link I gave you or request it through live chat.

On the phone, look under network settings and see what apn is set.

It should be iData.o2.co.uk

See jonsie's help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Connecting-iPhone-to-Data-Services/m-p/544210#U544210

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks

MI5's post did not refer to an application. He wrote 'apn', Access Point Name. CS is Customer Service.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Please also be wary that your data allowance may not last as long if you tether to a tablet or net book etc due to the richer content these devices download.

1GB is not an overly large amount of data allowance to use on your phone and tether with.

If you use it up your data will simply stop altogether so you won't be charged and will refresh in your allowance refresh date ,or you can add another data bolt on at a cost.

If this happens regularly you may want to look in your myo2 to see if a larger data allowance is available to you or speak to O2 Customer Services. 202 for Contract.

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Y not buy O2MobileWifi Mf60 Hot spot and put in A Giffgaff sim card into choose Unlimited data allowance it's costs you 18 a month any way but you need to change O2 ap to Giffgaff.com n used I'd is giffgaff n pw is giffgaff .
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Coz I've buy one for my wee sis who's still stay in Glasga Ie Glasgow coz I can't afford pay a extra £40 a month coz my contracts I've got its 3 contact with 02-UK coz I've got one my mate got one n my wee sis got one coz my wee sis got bad credit history ect.
This phone bills is shooting up to £190 a month because my wee sis n my mate get a add on for Web allowance.

My phone bill before em reck it up to £190 is £134.50 a month. Now you can see I can't afford £200 a month.
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Y not buy O2MobileWifi Mf60 Hot spot and put in A Giffgaff sim card into choose Unlimited data allowance it's costs you 18 a month any way but you need to change O2 ap to Giffgaff.com n used I'd is giffgaff n pw is giffgaff .

Thanks for sharing slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10