cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect vat refund email

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I receved an email saying "In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

This email had all my personal information, but asked me to follow a link to log into my account, has anyone else seen an email like this? The email looked legitimate, if anyone from O2 monitors this thread, please let me know how to report this.
Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Because they need concrete proof to avoid the courts

Surely not @viridis How many times do we see Watchdog running with a story...only airing one side and then saying 'We approached so and so company...they declined to comment'?...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 251 of 374

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
True, that is a very good point.
Message 252 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
True, that is a very good point.

Pleased to hear it...my brain seems to kick in late at night. LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 253 of 374

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@viridis wrote:

Surely not @viridis How many times do we see Watchdog running with a story...only airing one side and then saying 'We approached so and so company...they declined to comment'?...

Because they put the "evidence" to the company and tell them it will be broadcast and would they like to comment on screen.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 254 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

@viridis wrote:

Because they put the "evidence" to the company and tell them it will be broadcast and would they like to comment on screen.

I realise that @Beenherebefore . I was just replying to Viridis's comment. I said that the media does not need concrete proof to run a story....Its how they run with it...and a clever choice of words.

ie "some customers of Joe Bloggs supermarket are claiming they were made ill by contaminated meat sold by them last week"......(That alone would be enough to stop people frequenting Joe Bloggs supermarket) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 255 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I've written to Watchdog anyway. Not sure whether anything will come of it and I don't care whether O2 decline to comment should they run a story about it. The point is that people would be alerted to the fact that some kind of security breach probably did take place and O2's failure to do acknowledge it in any meaningful way wouldn't exactly boost confidence in them as a company. 

Secondly, I am still absolutely furious that my details are now in the hands of people devoid of any kind moral scruples through NO FAULT OF MY OWN and I await massive credit card debts and whatever else they see fit to run up in my name because they are such useless scum that they can't be bothered to make an honest, hard earned living like the rest of us.

Yeah thanks for your support with this O2.

Message 256 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok ladies and gents I have now had a reply from Senior Management at O2 regarding these phishing emails and their response (in my words as it was a telephone call) is as follows:

1. O2 Senior Management have confirmed that they DO want phishing emails sent to them, even if they are already aware of the issue.

2. Where emails are purported to include the PUK number, have the recipient's checked that they PUK is actually the right one for their account? (It may be that the scammers are blagging it).

3. Re the serial number of the phone, same as number 2 above.

If these details are CORRECT in relation to the customer account then these need to be flagged to the phishing email address o2 have phishing@o2.co.uk

O2 are confident that the data has not been leaked from their own systems (I know we will all say "well they would say that wouldn't they? ) but never the less they were clear.

I asked why o2 were silent on the matter. The response was that there are many phishing scams and they can't possibly be expected to contact customers every single time a phishing email is sent.

I have suggested that perhaps every 6 or 12 months or so when they send us billing emails perhaps they could include information about phishing and other scams. O2 Senior Management plan to take the idea forward to the Fraud Team for consideration.

Message 257 of 374

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Let's see what Watchdog have to say about it....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 258 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Totally agree. I hope Watchdog do pick this up
Message 259 of 374

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Totally agree. I hope Watchdog do pick this up

I'm pretty sure they will and when O2 are contavted I'm sure any statement will be along similar lines as your post above.

Message 260 of 374