cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect vat refund email

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I receved an email saying "In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

This email had all my personal information, but asked me to follow a link to log into my account, has anyone else seen an email like this? The email looked legitimate, if anyone from O2 monitors this thread, please let me know how to report this.
Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

Cleoriff
  • 122818 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I had this text too, and am usually pretty clued up about spam stuff but this got me as it was in the thread with the others from O2.  I have just spent time on chat with an O2 rep and am getting no where.  I asked them to confirm that my details were safe and they just advised me to change my password.  

Mmmmm....a bit worrying that 'changing password ' is the only official stance as yet?...

Hoping to hear more today as this problem is being tweeted as well as posted on here..(by a limited number of O2 users)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 141 of 374

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

clock

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 142 of 374

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
A mere drip in the ocean where potential victims numbers are concerned
Message 143 of 374

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for flagging your experience on this topic. I shall share this thread with the relevant teams and if I can offer any other info at any stage I shall do. For now, please refer to my post mentioned by @Beenherebefore:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Suspect-vat-refund-email/m-p/842915#M87083

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 144 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've received same email and I'm on pay as you go, I don't have a contract
Message 145 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just had this email too. Keylogger indeed. I've been cleaning computers for years and am throughly convinced my own is clean. Besides, I wouldn't know my phone serial number and PUK code without looking for them anyway and I've certainly never needed to type them anywhere.

This is a very, very worrying phising email! O2 should be taking a more pro-active response to this. I'm coming up for renewal in May - this is NOT making me want to renew.

Message 146 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122818 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I've just had this email too. Keylogger indeed. I've been cleaning computers for years and am throughly convinced my own is clean. Besides, I wouldn't know my phone serial number and PUK code without looking for them anyway and I've certainly never needed to type them anywhere.

This is a very, very worrying phising email! O2 should be taking a more pro-active response to this. I'm coming up for renewal in May - this is NOT making me want to renew.

Really understand your concerns @Anonymous  So many like you have posted over this weekend. Not giving anyone much confidence if honest slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 147 of 374

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Not giving anyone much confidence if honest slight_frown

Especially as still no formal recognition of a problem on the main website nor on here.

I would have thought by 5pm Monday there would have been at least a formal "holding" announcement on the O2 website.

Message 148 of 374

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I wonder if O2 have reported it to the ICO yet...?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 149 of 374

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Whether they have or not, I would have expected a formal acknowledgement of a potential problem to warn their customers. At least the customers then have a choice to change their passwords or not.

But to be honest, a password change is the least of their worries.

Message 150 of 374