cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So man scam

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been charged £30 for entering a competition that I had no idea I was entering . I received 2 texts to tell me I had been charged £30. There was an email with the word help next to it which I promptly mailed . I received a call later that day in response to the email . I explained I didn't authorise the charges to which she replied I did and the conversation just went on I took her name the company address and the managing directors name . Now I have to try to get my money back . I have contacted O2 but have to wait 3-5 days for response . I can see I'm not alone in this Scam something really needs to be done to stop this .
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Based in London , but she was adamant on the phone I clicked the button to accept charges. But there's no way I would have done this if I could clearly see the charge .
Message 11 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Do you still have any texts sent by them> If so what is the number/code that is sending them?

Message 12 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Based in London , but she was adamant on the phone I clicked the button to accept charges. But there's no way I would have done this if I could clearly see the charge .

If they refuse to refund you just tell them you are going to file a complaint with PPP, which will likely change their mind.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I still have the texts they sent me but no number it just says receipt 😔
Message 15 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

If there is no short code chances are it's not a subscription based service.

I have come across this company before...Do you even know what you have done to enter the competition? Usually they use pop ups...does that ring any bells?

Anyway, you can ask CS to put a premium bar on just in case.

As for the charges,I would suggest you call them back again. Make it very clear that you did not knowingly entered any competitions, if you did enter it the information was not visible or available which breaches the current regulations. They will more than likely try to convince you again that u have done it but just stay firm and pressure them into a corner with something like, "so your final answer is  no refund, because If that is the case then I need to know so that I can pursue the matter legally  and also notify Phonepayplus. It has worked in the past...It's worth a try...

Message 16 of 17

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Definitely threaten them with PPP, be prepared to carry out that threat too!

Good luck, and let us know what happens please.

Charlie.
Message 17 of 17