cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

My problem is that I have no signal when I put my sim into my phone (Xperia Z3+) however I'm not sure if its a problem with my sim or not. I'm leaning towards not but would like some opinions. It all starts about 2 months ago when I was having issues with my phone losing wifi and then not getting it back until several restarts and a couple hours later.

So I sent it to Sony for repair as it is still under warranty. But as it had some cracks on the back glass they charged me to replace that (which I expected). They sent it back to me and it still didnt connect to the wifi but this time no amount of restarts helped. Then they sent it back saying the mainboard had been replaced which I think is important to my issue as when I received it back this time the wifi worked (yay) but now I had no signal on my phone. I tried my wifes sim in my phone which I know for sure works and still no signal. So back it goes to Sony.

Then I get it back saying the sim tray had been replaced but alas still no signal. But both times I've had no signal I've tried to connect manually to a network under the settings but noticed that the default network ticked in the list is "3 UK" with other 3 and EE networks unavailable but listed and O2 nowhere to be found. So with this information I think maybe i've been changed over to 3 somewhere down the line and thats the problem. So I've gone to a local phone repair shop and borrowed a 3 PAYG sim, not registered with it or got any credit on it and the phone at first showed no signal again but then as was in the settings with the guy in the shop noticed a couple bars of signal seemingly confirming my theory.

However after checking the sim lock using *#*#7465625#*#* it says that it isnt locked. So should still work with my sim right? Unless I'm misunderstanding how a phone is locked to a network.

Any opinions on the problem would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting rather frustrated with the whole thing.

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Does it show any logos when turned on?
Message 11 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just the Sony/Xperia logo
Message 12 of 39

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Settings, other, network selection... Set to automatic.
Restart phone

Sony use SBE Ltd in Kent for most repairs.
If no joy using common methods mentioned, write to SBE on the last paperwork returned with handset and clearly write a timeline of what has happened.
Message 13 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried the settings thing already.

Currently waiting to hear back from Sony as sent them receipt from carphone warehouse stating it was on O2 when ordered as they were arguing it must have been a 3 phone originally due to me getting bars with the borrowed sim. As I must have mentioned it being unlocked due to the lack of branding and that usually third party shops like CPW dont usually lock phones in my experience anyway due to selling them sim free occasionally.

Anyway the first reply I got back was them wanting proof it was unlocked. Despite the fact I sent them proof of it being on O2 and now it apparently is on 3 not being good enough. So waiting for a reply to perhaps my harsh email back. 

No doubt will have to send it back and shall follow your advice in listing the timeline of events on their paperwork.

Message 14 of 39

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
They should know all CPW Sony phones are unlocked.
Message 15 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Is your IMEI still the same on phone as it is on the box?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Haven't got the box anymore but don't think it's changed as it's consistent on all the paperwork that I get back from SBE.
Message 17 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Then you haven't had a new motherboard fitted.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 39

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
That^^^
Message 19 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well on one of the bits of paperwork for when the wifi got fixed it says parts replaced: sticker (3), main board.

What they actually did I have no idea.
Message 20 of 39