cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I change from Pay and Go?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

I have been on O2 for many many years, always on Pay and Go.

At the moment I have a Sony z1 compact but the side button has broke and I need a new phone. I am on the £15 big bundle where I get...

• 750 minutes

• 2000 texts

• 2gb data

I never go over this amount, and I usually keep phones until they break, this one I have had nearly 2 years.

I am debating changing onto contract, but don't see the benifits. But I am a contract novice.

I'm looking at getting the Sony Z5 compact, I can get it on 24 month contract as either...

£109.99 upfront and £28.50 a month, or £33.50 a month, both for...

• 3gb data

• Unlimited texts

• Unlimited minutes.

I would prefer the £109.99 upfront one.

So, am I right in thinking, if I do £28.50 times 24(months) (=£684), plus the £109.99 upfront= £793.99 is what I'd pay in total, then I'd start another contract for another phone?

If this is the case, if I compare with Pay and Go, if I stay on the £15 big bundle and do £15 times 24 months=  £360, plus the price of the phone upfront £299.99 I would be paying £659.99 for 24 months.

Staying on Pay and Go would mean I save £137.

Is there any advantage of me chaning onto contract?

On contract, once I've paid £299.99 for the phone, will my monthly contract reduce?

Everyone is telling me to change onto contract but I can't see the beniftis. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122902 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Like you I was on Payg till about 3 years ago. I made the move to contract and honestly have never looked back  I never go over my allowances and pay a fixed sum every month. I found with PAYG my top ups were often quite expensive. Some info here about changing.

http://www.o2.co.uk/movetopaymonthly

Also with pay monthly you do have the benefit of a Refresh contract http://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/o2-refresh-explained

http://www.o2.co.uk/refresh   A Refresh contract allows you to upgrade your phone after 12 months

It is entirely up to you of course.... but if asking my advice I would change to contract if it suits your needs.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
  • 122902 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Like you I was on Payg till about 3 years ago. I made the move to contract and honestly have never looked back  I never go over my allowances and pay a fixed sum every month. I found with PAYG my top ups were often quite expensive. Some info here about changing.

http://www.o2.co.uk/movetopaymonthly

Also with pay monthly you do have the benefit of a Refresh contract http://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/o2-refresh-explained

http://www.o2.co.uk/refresh   A Refresh contract allows you to upgrade your phone after 12 months

It is entirely up to you of course.... but if asking my advice I would change to contract if it suits your needs.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

I have been on contract for many years and it's been convenient for me. The direct debit just takes every month and I can forget about having to top up. Also with a contract, allowances are better but not hugely so. I always buy my phones outright and unlocked thus allowing me to have a sim only contract.

What you have to consider is that taking out a two year contract and being committed to paying every month, sometimes peoples circumstances change and a contract is the last thing they need.

My circumstances have changed so I'm unsure whether to renew in December or not. The data is of no use to me but there is the added bonus for me of being able to use TU over wifi to either call or text home free. To me that is the main advantage of a contract over P&G.

Ultimately, the decision is really down to yourself but hopefully you will be able to make an informed choice on what suits your circumstances. Don't feel pressured to take a contract because of friends if you aren't really comfortable doing that.

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
As a low user like you are I would suggest you stay on PAYG.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Anonymous You seem to have answered your own question. If you've done your sums correctly, and Pay & Go works out less expensive, then it really doesn't matter what your friends are saying. There are several advantages to Pay Monthly, but if they don't outweigh what you think you're saving on Pay & Go, and cost is what's important to you, then stay where you are.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys @Bambino @MI5 @jonsie @Cleoriff.

When I upgrade do you have a range of phones to pick from or is it free range. And does your monthly fee stay the same when you upgrade?

Also once the phones been paid for does my monthly fee drop for the rest of the 24 months or not?

I'm guessing contract is sort of for people who can't afford to buy the phone upfront? Would that be right?

Also would sim only be any good for me do you think? I know you have to buy the phone upfront, but are you given upgrades?

Thanks!
Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122902 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

When you upgrade you do have a range of phones to choose from

Contract is for people who want to pay a set monthly fee and have the benefits of a contract phone.

Personally I am sim only as I said earlier. I bought my phone outright.  I have all the benefits of a contract deal but pay less a month.

A matter of personal choice. If you read through the link I gave you about Refresh you will see the advantage of that if it suits your needs...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous Yes when you pay off the device plan it drops down to the airtime fee only.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 8