cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending texts from UK to abroad?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I was wondering how much it would cost me to text somebody who is abroad? I am on a pay monthly contract for the iPhone 4s if that makes a difference and I would like to send a text message to somebody in Portugal for the next two weeks. I have something called o2 Travel on my bolt on, I don't remember getting this and not sure what it is too, so that may be of use as well. Also, is the other person charged? Thank you in advance.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If the person you want to text in Portugal has a UK mobile number then the cost will be exactly the same as if they were standing next to you or would come out of your normal allowance. bYour friend in Portugal would receive the text free of any charge.

However if it is a foreign network mobile number then the cost would be 17p + vat on monthly and 20p on P&G.

O2 Travel is for use when travelling in Europe and has no bearing on using the phone in the UK.

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
So as my texts are free here it should be free to text them while they are abroad too?

Thank you very much for your fast reply.
Message 3 of 10

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also the other person is not charged for receiving texts
Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Your friend in Portugal would receive the text free of any charge.

However if it is a foreign network mobile number then the cost would be 17p + vat on monthly and 20p on P&G.

O2 Travel is for use when travelling in Europe and has no bearing on using the phone in the UK.

Already advised!

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry missed that
Message 7 of 10

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi if I call from uk to my son in Australia to his uk phone does it cost either him or myself?
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It won't cost you if you have inclusive minute allowance either texts or calls. Your son however will be charged roaming costs.

http://www.o2.co.uk/support/internationalandtravel

If he has wifi then you could both download TuGo which will cost him nothing to receive calls over wifi.

Message 10 of 10