cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safari mobile scammers!! Soc man

Anonymous
Not applicable
Read lots of reports on here and I tok have been charged £30 this weekend for clicking on a site by mistake. Only clicked on a couple of questions to then receive a text saying that I was going to be charged £30!! O2 currently investigating ...how do these people get away with this!!!
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous Ok but phone pay plus will resolve this if the scammers are not allowing you to contact them.

P.S. I am sure that coders can hide the real email address used to send a web form . 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 21 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 admitted to me last night that they are aware of issues with Safari Lottery and they are looking into it. I did not click on anything authorising anything to do with Safari Lottery and of that, I am 100pc sure. I have no idea what it even is...these charges just started appearing on my account weekly!

Message 22 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144092 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
You prob didn't know it was safari when you clicked a link, entered a competition or answered some question.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didnt answer any questions. Of that, I am 100% sure. 

Message 24 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, I have found that another customer has raised this to the Action Fraud squad.

Please contact Action Fraud on 03001232040

Please refer to existing reference number:
NFRC150100897622

Though she did raise this in 2015, so not sure what the outcome is, but there is a case reference to refer to.

I am uploading everything to Twitter. O2 need to take responsibility here and stop this happening to their customers!
Message 25 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

This Soc Man has one director listed and that director answers the general emails. That says enough about the legitamacy of this company really, doesn't it. Companies House also notifed them that they would be struck off in late 2015, but this was not done. They obviously found a way around it. As mentioned, I have raised this to the regulator and am in the process of raising this to Tony Hetherington who is the Financial Mail's fraud investigator.  

Message 26 of 39

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@Anonymous please keep us updated as to what outcome you get. Unfortunately O2 aren't liable in these cases, they didn't make u sign up or allow you to be signed up from anything they're in control of. Also they cannot arbitrarily ban these numbers, lots of ppl use these premium services legitimately.

I really do hope u get it sorted, but phonepayplus is the body you need to be dealing with top get a resolution. If enough ppl complain that they're being charged unwittingly or fraudulently then these companies will get fined. The fines are no small amount either, they're quite substantial.
Message 27 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been caught by this and are being charged £9, just spoke to O2 and they don't seem to care!!! as good as told me its my problem not theirs!!!

Message 28 of 39

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been caught by this and are being charged £9, just spoke to O2 and they don't seem to care!!! as good as told me its my problem not theirs!!!

In fairness it is, you need to contact them directly.

Message 29 of 39

MI5
  • 144092 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
That is correct. You need to cancel the subscription that you have agreed to, albeit unwittingly.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 30 of 39