O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Abi
Level 2: Apprentice
Abi

Receiving texts from international number

I have been looking and i haven't seen anything about how much its costs to a receive a text from an international number. How much does it cost to receive a text from a Trinidad and Tobago number?

Please use plain text.
Level 45: Knowing
Bambino

Re: Receiving texts from international number

It's free to receive texts from anywhere.

Please use plain text.
Abi
Abi

I found out that it does cost. I checked before and after getting someone from overseas, with an international number, to text me and it cost 40p. Is this not supposed to happen?

Please use plain text.
Bambino

I really don't think that's correct. I get international calls and texts from the US and I have never been charged to receive either. It's even free to receive texts if you are abroad with your phone, so I don't see how you were charged to receive a text here.

Please use plain text.
Abi
Abi

Hmm, well i definately have done. Perhaps because i am pay as you go? 

Please use plain text.
Bambino

To be honest, I'm not sure if being on pay as you go makes a difference, but I don't think it should. Maybe someone else on the forum can back me up on this, but if that doesn't happen I suggest you call Customer Services and ask. I'd leave it to call them for a while though until all this insanity about the new iPhone dies down. If you tried calling now you'd just spend a lot of time on hold.

Please use plain text.
Abi
Abi

I can assure you that it is costing me. I'll call the Customer Services- after all the insanity. Thank you for your help and, like you said, if anyone else on the forum can help i would really appreciate it.
Please use plain text.
Bambino

I'm sorry I haven't been able to help you. I've found this on the O2 International FAQ's page (http://www.o2.co.uk/international/faqs) concerning texts while abroad:

How much does it cost to receive a text when overseas?

Contract

It's always free to receive a text when you are overseas.

If texts are free to receive when you're abroad, it stands to reason that they should be free here.

Are you certain that the charges were for receiving? Did you reply to the texts?

Please use plain text.
Abi
Abi

I think that is assuming the numbers that the texts are coming from, when overseas, are English numbers. Whereas the number texting me is international - starting with +1868.

I haven't replied at all to the texts, so the charge can only be from receiving.
Please use plain text.
Bambino

Yes but as I said earlier, I receive texts and calls from the US regularly from US numbers and I have never been charged.

Sorry but you'll have to call CS to sort this out. If you do get an answer from them I'd be interested to know what they say. Please come back to the forum and let me know.

Please use plain text.