O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 2: Apprentice
coolesticeking

Problems receiving text messages

Have you tried a Manual Network Selection? (i.e: Gone into Network Settings and selected Manual and pick vodafone UK for example, wait for an error message and switch back to O2 - UK).

If things don't improve then it's no doubt Network Congestion which nothing can be done about really.. 9 times out of 10 Texts will be delivered within seconds but these can be delayed.

Text Messages are classed as a low priority on a Mobile Network and at busy times can seem an age to deliver!
David :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
jonsie
Topics: 193
Solutions: 1,964

Have you tried a Manual Network Selection? (i.e: Gone into Network Settings and selected Manual and pick vodafone UK for example, wait for an error message and switch back to O2 - UK).
If things don't improve then it's no doubt Network Congestion which nothing can be done about really.. 9 times out of 10 Texts will be delivered within seconds but these can be delayed.
Text Messages are classed as a low priority on a Mobile Network and at busy times can seem an age to deliver!

When you do this, it normally pushes through all texts queueing to be delivered. Whether this is a short term or long term solution, it's certainly worth doing.
Please use plain text.
jessroscoe

9 times out of 10 mine don't get delivered at all! If it is just Network Congestion, then why is it happening around 4 or 5 times a day for me and none for everyone else??

I'm starting to get really annoyed as I have repaired and replaced the phone and changed sim cards twice, and nothing seems to have helped! I am seriously thinking of changing to another network. I don't really want to because I have been with o2 since 2001 and have had no problems other than this one, but no one (in the shop) seems to know how to fix this problem.
Please use plain text.
coolesticeking

Have you tried a Manual Network Selection? - To my knowhow you have tried everything else possible really!

Also, try adding *0# to a start of the message to see if you get the Delivery Reports back. Might be good to keep the "Message Number" to see if they can track the messages via Customer Services.
David :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
jessroscoe

It doesn't allow me to connect to another network, just keeps coming up "error could not connect" to vodafone, t-mobile and orange.
Please use plain text.
jonsie
Topics: 193
Solutions: 1,964

It doesn't allow me to connect to another network, just keeps coming up "error could not connect" to vodafone, t-mobile and orange.

Yes it's supposed to come up with the error message.
http://tinyurl.com/textproblems
Manual network selection:
Forcing your mobile to logon to a different network, then back to O2 refreshes your mobile's connection to the O2 network and helps push through undelivered messages. To perform a manual network selection, in the 'Network Selection' settings of your mobile select 'manual'. Your mobile will search for available networks. Select Vodafone and you will receive an error message similar to 'Connection Failed'. Repeat this again, but select O2 and you will receive a 'Success' message or something similar. 
Provided there are no network faults in your area and your mobile/SIM are not faulty, any undelivered SMS will come to your mobile within a few minutes (for information on how to do this, check your user guide). 

If you have tried all the above and are still experiencing problems receiving text messages please click on the 'Call Us' or 'Email Us' link below and be sure to include the following information:
• Alternative contact number
• Duration of problem
• Error message, if any, received
Please use plain text.
jessroscoe

Oh thankyou :smileyhappy: so far I haven't had any problems, but haven't actually been texting anyone. But I will let you know if I do have any problems!
Please use plain text.
jessroscoe

Nope I am still not receiving text messages until I do this manual network connection. I cannot do this everytime I don't get a reply!
Please use plain text.
jessroscoe

Well I went into an O2 store today and I must say I am very disappointed. They told me that it MUST be a network coverage problem as I apparently live in poor area for reception. This is not true as I have never had a problem with signal and this problem does not just happen in my flat. It can happen anywhere I happen to go. They also told me the best thing for me to do would be to join another network. I must say this has annoyed me the most as I have been an O2 customer since 2001 and think that they have the best deals for people on Pay & Go and have the best signal I have come across. So, within the next couple of weeks, I shall be an unhappy Voadfone customer.
Thanks for all your help though, you gave me more support than people in store :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.