cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prefer truth not waffle!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have managed to accumulate an extra £10 on my standard bill, basically for something that is not quite clear.

My Nokia 920 (or me using my N920) managed to send 11 mms messages at the same time to the following, and NO I do not have any groups set up anywhere in my contact list.

a) 4 messages which were pictures changed to emails.

b) 2 messages to people who are in my contact list

c) 1 message to my own mobile number

d) the remainder to numbers NOT in my contact list.

Having put the following to CS there was nothing but waffle.

a) regardless, emails and attachments are free, they come from either my data allowance or utilise wifi

b) one of the two bods still has the message it consists of the word "ok" and a smiley face (so graphic faces are chargable-good to know)

c) don't know how i managed to send myself something never mind get charged for it.

d) why on earth would I send messages to people who I dont know and are not in my contact list?

It has also been suggested that sending a particularly long text gets it transformed into an mms and elicits a charge. So much for FREE texts, and NO I have NEVER been notified anywhere anytime that thats what would happen - sneaky O2!

Anyone care to suggest what happened?

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
and here too http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The biggest culprit for messages turning into mms is adding emoticons to a text message. Some phones will automatically convert long texts into mms but you may find a setting in the phone to warn you about this.

More here: Text messages being sent as a MMS

Message 2 of 14

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
and here too http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie  I read that link you provided and a bit confused about section 5.. ie

5. Long Messages – If you’re sending a message with more than 360 characters, send it as 2 messages. There is a character counter on most phones that you can see when you’re writing a text message.

I thought it was 460 characters??

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 14

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's 160 x 3 wink

Currently using:
Message 5 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It's 160 x 3 wink

So 480 not 360 as stated?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 14

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Correct...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service

Currently using:
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Cleoriff

Yes another to add to your growing list.

As said in other threads what's posted here on the forum is the authors words so if i can I sometimes add o2's official links to support what's being advised.

wink
Message 8 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi @Cleoriff

Yes another to add to your growing list.

As said in other threads what's posted here on the forum is the authors words so if i can I sometimes add o2's official links to support what's being advised.

wink

And to think I only joined in to query what was in jonsies official link about 360 characters...when I knew it was moreLOL

Ah well as I say...every day is a school day...(as long as my poor brain doesn't explode) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there.

Can you tell me howi may request o2 for my phone being charged for exceeding minuites on my Tarriff.

I was charged 95 pounds for my last bill date, and i am extremely depressed. I have 300 minuites a month, but they never notify you via text message m, when you may go over your limit of call time. They only notify you when you use uo your date. I am cery depressed, and would want them to consider my situation. I can't afford to pay it, and am considering of leaving o2

Message 10 of 14