Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone unlocking service on Pay as you Go

prwright55
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm new to O2 (Pay and Go) and want to unlock my phone to use abroad with a 'local' SIM card.

The phone is locked to O2 by a previous owner (I bought it from her), not my own contract.  I think the charge for unlocking (for those not on monthly contracts) is £15.

In particular I'm confused by some wording on the website that appears to say I must wait 1 year on Pay and Go before O2 will unlock the phone - is this correct? Surely they can unlock before waiting so long.

Otherwise I guess it must be an independent service cente for a more expensive (and slighly dodgier) unlocking!

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@prwright55 wrote:

I'm new to O2 (Pay and Go) and want to unlock my phone to use abroad with a 'local' SIM card.

The phone is locked to O2 by a previous owner (I bought it from her), not my own contract.  I think the charge for unlocking (for those not on monthly contracts) is £15.

In particular I'm confused by some wording on the website that appears to say I must wait 1 year on Pay and Go before O2 will unlock the phone - is this correct? Surely they can unlock before waiting so long.

Otherwise I guess it must be an independent service cente for a more expensive (and slighly dodgier) unlocking!

Two choices.

1, put 15 quid credit on it (making sure any bundles aren't deducted from balance) and complete the form hoping it will pass.

2, if you know someone with o2 contract, stick their sim in, make a few calls and texts, then next day get them to fill out unlocking request in my o2 where it's free and no waiting for a year.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
As far as I know, the 1 year wait is from when the phone is actually purchased from the retailer (o2, Carphone Warehouse, etc) rather than when you brought it from someone.
So as long as the phone is more than 1 year old it will not be an issue.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Was the phone previously on contract?
If so, use those details and submit the form and it will be free.
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@prwright55 wrote:

Two choices.

1, put 15 quid credit on it (making sure any bundles aren't deducted from balance) and complete the form hoping it will pass.

2, if you know someone with o2 contract, stick their sim in, make a few calls and texts, then next day get them to fill out unlocking request in my o2 where it's free and no waiting for a year.

Message 4 of 6

prwright55
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

These are all great suggetsions, thanks to all who replied.

Message 5 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The 12 month rule only applies if bought on P&G originally. If contract then the previous owner can get it unlocked free.

Message 6 of 6