cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone contract crisis... please help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically my mobile phone contract with O2 is an absolute mess and I do not know what to do. I have received awful service o2 and am paying a small fortune every month. I cannot go on like this!

To give you some background:

This contract was initially taken out years ago by my father whilst I was studying at university but was taken over by myself, 3 years ago, in order to keep the same telephone number but it has been a complete nightmare ever since. We have been through the whole process of transferring the names to allow o2 s to talk to me several times but this never seems to be remembered. My father lives on the other side of the country to me and is a complete so it is almost impossible to have him sort out my phone issues.   A case in point was in December, when my phone was lost, nobody would talk to me about the issue and I was without a phone for almost a month whilst it was sorted. O2 would also not send the replacement  sim directly to my address only to my dad which was very inconvenient!  

I am unable to view any bills so have no idea what I am paying for or even what my allowance is. I subsequently run over my bill every month with this month reaching an incredible £109.36! I’ve got an awful phone, barely any minutes, barely any texts but am paying the earth for it? Could you please advise me on the best course of action? The contract ends in august but I can’t go on like this until then, it is driving me mad! I really don’t want to have to change my number but if that’s the only option then so be it. Is my best option to cancel?  how much will it cost to cancel? Or is there a way I can get some sort of bolt on to stop me running up such ridiculous bills? Also will I even be able to cancel it, even though all the money is paid by a bank account in my name or will you have to get hold of my father?

To summarise;

My phone is rubbish, I have barely any minutes, texts or internet allowance but it is costing me a small fortune, (almost £110 this month).  I spend a lot of my time on hold, I cannot view my bills, have no idea what my account no./password etc is,  have no idea what I’m paying for and am unable to speak to anyone about it.

Please could you advise the best course of action?

Many Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

1 Get your father to ensure that he can login to myo2 then give you the username and password .

Then you can check online and add boltons etc yourself.

2 At the end of contract you can get a pac code and move the number to another network of you choice once you have set up a contract or using a payg sim.

3 Again at end of contract you can start a new contract and then with your father present do a transfer of ownership and keep the number and close the old account down (i will link to a post discussing that) http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Moving-to-Spain-but-have-existing-contract-in-UK...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

1 Get your father to ensure that he can login to myo2 then give you the username and password .

Then you can check online and add boltons etc yourself.

2 At the end of contract you can get a pac code and move the number to another network of you choice once you have set up a contract or using a payg sim.

3 Again at end of contract you can start a new contract and then with your father present do a transfer of ownership and keep the number and close the old account down (i will link to a post discussing that) http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Moving-to-Spain-but-have-existing-contract-in-UK...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could sell your current handset and use the funds to help pay for another handset that better suits your needs.

Places such as CEX buy and sell phones and many are upgrades hence they are brand new.

Or use the funds to help pay off the contract and start your own. If keeping the number isn't too much of a deal breaker.

We have a forum co ordinator called @Toby who may be able to help you Officially by pointing you in the right direction.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/60444
Message 3 of 4

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Getting your dad to obtain a PAC code and moving networks (and then back to o2 if you wish) is the only way of properly solving the transfer of ownership problems. Surprisingly, there are no ID checks when using a PAC, so the person using it doesn't have to be the person whom requested it.

We did a "transfer of ownership" a few years ago with another network and it never truly worked - depending the time day/phase of the moon, some customer service people would speak to us, some wouldn't. Wasted a lot of time and money because the systems at these big firms just can't deal with a proper transfer of ownership and they try and work around it by adding people as "allowed" contacts, our adding notes to the systems that none off their staff read. Never again!
Message 4 of 4