cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing or legit O2 text message?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This morning I recieved this text message perportedly from O2:

"We have reason to believe your email and password for MyO2 has been obtained by third parties through phishing and may be used to access your MyO2 account.

As a precaution, we will suspend your password on MyO2 and send you a new one to enable you to reset it.

For more advice, visit ******(plus some randon letters and numbers I've removed incase it is malicious. Link also edited to remove exact address) or contact us."

I did not follow the link in the text message, instead I went to the 02 site seperatly and logged in with no issues to My O2. No messages came up saying I needed to reset my password and I have not received an email as the text message said I would.

It all looks very dodgy as far as I'm concerned, but frankly its a very convincing text, with none of the usual give aways. Its comes from 'O2UK', has proper English and the address does have o2.co.uk in it although with some before and after extras which I can't find any info on.

Anyone else get this?

Message 1 of 49
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Before I posted the first post here, I also sent the text message to phishing@o2.com.

I have now recieved an email in reply to that report. O2 are saying this text message is a legitemate text from O2 and is NOT a scam.

I immediatly logged in to My O2 and changed my password. Then 20 minutes later I get another text from O2 sending me a new autogenerated password which I should now login using and then I can set yet another new password. Seems this is the password reset procedure they should have sent when they sent the text message this morning.

This is a right mess, if the first instance of the text sent at 08:02 this morning is now confirmed as a legit O2 message and therefore s.o2.co.uk is a legit address, then don't you think this could have been handled a lot better?

Thanks Toby and others for doing what you can on here though, much apreciated but still pretty worrying.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm Toby, the O2 Community Head. Please send me a private message with the full email contents and I'll ask the rest of the team and investigate this.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 2 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Toby, have sent you a pm.
Message 3 of 49

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144203 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You did the right thing.
s.o2.co.uk is not a valid o2 site.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also had this same text message today. Logged in fine to my account and had no email either. I also thought this was dodgy!

Message 4 of 49

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Toby Please remove the hyperlink in the OP's first post.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 49

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Thanks for posting as a warning to people, definitely a scam and as said @Toby, please remove the link.

Message 7 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
You did the right thing.
s.o2.co.uk is not a valid o2 site.

Worrying though. Thanks to @Anonymous for bringing it to our attention.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have edited my first post to remove the first part of the link.
Message 9 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also got the same text this morning with the dodgy link.  I never clicked it as it didn't look/sound right...

Message 10 of 49