Did you mean: 

Petition: Why we need the 3g off switch reinstated

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Toby

Please can this request be forwarded to the relevant team. In response to some of your responses in other threads

This is affecting all users ios and android etc.

1 The solution of Tugo is not available at present to over 50% of client base (payg and business)

2 In fringe areas with partial 3g this will render any of those above no longer to select the 2g network and be uncontactable as no tugo.

3 increased battery usage as the phones still hunt for 3g in non 4g enabled areas when users only want 2g for battery life reasons and as in 2.

I hope this information will help o2 implement either a 4g/3g off switch or both options 4g off 3g off.

Adam Temperton

P.s. all that agree with this please comment

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Agreed

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also agreed
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed here also on behalf of the BlackBerry 10 users.

Not being able to select a 2G only signal is killing my battery life.

Message 4 of 17

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Adam,

I shall send a link to this thread to the team now. If you have any other thoughts or if others agree, please share your views here as Adam says.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 17

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Thanks Toby

When o2 hit the coverage obligation 98% coverage indoor end 2015 then it may not be such an issue but at present with over 50% user base unable to use tugo it feels like we are being disadvantaged.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, just to add more information.

The last BlackBerry 10 OS update last year which gave us the option to connect to a 4G network also took away the option to select "2G Only".

This has meant that in areas where there is only a 2G signal, the phone is constantly searching and hunting for a 3G connection and therefore the battery is being used up as the phone continually searches. For instance, I was at a wedding on Saturday, my phone was taken off charge at 12pm...and the battery had completely died by 6pm because the signal was incredibly poor.

My work has a very bad signal as well so I often find that my battery now barely lasts the working day despite the fact its sitting on my desk doing nothing. This was never an issue until the last software update...and is likely going to force me away from O2 at the end of my contract.

This would not be an issue if we still had the option to turn off 3G/4G or to select 2G only as we had up until late last year.

Message 7 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
A new conspiracy theory has just dawned on me..... wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
And me wink
Message 9 of 17

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

When I was trying to get 4G and I had issues with the sim, I was told by O2 customer service and also the O2 complaints department that the O2 carrier update (15.6) brought in new options to the iPhone and below the option to turn cellular data on there were 3 sepatate options so that you can choose whether to enable 2G, 3G or 4G.  However, when I received the 15,6 update I didn't get these options.

Message 10 of 17