cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for a broken phone!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I have had a bit of an issue this past month. I'm on a 24 month contract due to run upgrade this July. I have the Samsung Galaxy S5 and I have had no issues until the past month or so. It began freezing etc, not responding to touch and then it went into bootloop (constantly rebooting without turning on). I sent it into repair, as it was under warranty but then I was told they found a couple of pins moved in the charging port (however it charges perfectly fine) and so they couldn't fix the real issue until I paid £124.99 for that. I had it sent back unfixed as I could of just paid £120 for an early upgrade. I downloaded Kies and did a firmware update, which should have fixed the problem but didn't. I was told by Samsung that there is nothing that can be done and the phone is essentialy dead. 

So I contacted o2 again, but all I was told is that the only options for me is to pay the remaining £120 and upgrade early, get a cheap pay as you go phone or pay £25 for a loan. My issue is, that I have not got £120 spare, so I am now essentially paying for a broken phone as they will not send out a replacement. Quite frankly I think this is unfair as the phone is not broken through any water damage or fault of my own. So I am now left paying monthly for a phone that I cannot use! 

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
The problem you have is that it has been deemed as user damage which isn't covered by warranty.
I'm not sure, but have Samsung actually had the phone to asses it?
If both Samsung and O2 say it's not a warranty issue your best bet is to try a local phone repair shop as it work out much cheaper to repair.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
The problem you have is that it has been deemed as user damage which isn't covered by warranty.
I'm not sure, but have Samsung actually had the phone to asses it?
If both Samsung and O2 say it's not a warranty issue your best bet is to try a local phone repair shop as it work out much cheaper to repair.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I disagree @MI5. Under the sale of goods act the item needs to be fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time.

I would say that charger pins should last at least the length of the warranty period and if they fail, should covered under a warranty repair.

OP should make an official complaint to O2 as they are the retailer. They can then battle this out with Samsung.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Send it to Samsung for repair as its still in the warranty, don't use o2 repairers, they don't have a great reputation 

Message 4 of 13

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

The charger pins can be damaged easily by the user. Care needs to be taken when charging and taking off charge, we all know how delicate they are. Using a 3rd party charger can also cause issues. I'm not sure why Samsung would deem the phone dead or if they have even inspected it? 

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

@Curr946 wrote:
I disagree @MI5. Under the sale of goods act the item needs to be fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time.

If you are aware of the extent of the damage or how it was caused you may be right.

I'm not so would find it difficult to argue the point.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

Given the charger still functions the damage must be minor. This was used as an excuse to get out of fixing Ops software fault. Hence why I would argue the sale of good act re the charger pins as clearly they have not been "abused". This would then open the door to have the software issue addressed.

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
It's not a software fault.....
The charge port is damaged - any local repair shop will fix it for a tenner.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

I'm trying to understand why Samsung say the phone is essentially dead. Sounds far more ominous than charger pins which are cheap enough to replace, certainly not at the price Anovo are quoting. We don't know the extent of the issues here so it's difficult to comment without the full facts. 

Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Hence why I asked if it was actually Samsung that had assessed the phone as it isn't clear so far.
Anovo would certainly try and charge that amount.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13