cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off iPhone 5S - Contract term?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all -

This is a follow up to my previouse thread (Answered as a - not possible).

Another angle -

According to my O2 Device Plan I have a settlement amount of £130 for my iPhone 5S

The overall contract was setup a year ago for 24 Months.

Question -

If I pay the £130

Does this mean I own the handset and can request - Unlock - to all Networks.

And; does it cancel or enable me the option to cancel the airtime tariff -

In other words can I cancel the lot - end up with an unlocked phone - a PAC code to enable me to setup a new contract with EE. All for £130.00

I would hope then to give the iPhone 5S to my wife - and sell her 4S.

Help and advice please.

Thanks

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - I did try the link you supplied - however on every occasion the site bombed out after completing step 1.

Chat seemed a second option.

Thanks again for your help.

Martin

Message 11 of 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
No worries - Hopefully you'll be OK.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Funnily enough, I was about to post the same question.

My daughter has a 5c, but on the O2 tariff she has she seems to be going through data at a rapid rate. For example, today only 10 days into the month, she is showing only 100mb of data left. She usually only uses her phone with wi-fi at home/college so shouldn't really be using so much data.

Thinking of changing to an unlimited data SIM that would be around £3/month cheaper than the current tariff she is on with O2, so if we can buy out the phone it will save us in the long run!!

Message 13 of 27

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Tony, if you look in your "My O2" it will give you a settlement figure for the device or the entire contract depending on which tariff you are on.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that. As there is still 18 months left it's a big chunk, but reckon I would be paying it anyhow, and saving at least £3/month over the current 750mb tariff. More likely saving is in the £7/month region if I needed to upgrade to a 2mb/month tariff.

Message 15 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All -

Just an update to share.

My iPhone 5S was unlocked for me using the O2 online chat. Good first step........

I ordered and received an EE Nano SIM Pre loaded from Amazon with £15.00 credit and 10Gb DATA for £15.00.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JGULS6U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Inserted the EE SIM and followed the instructions (simples).

I live fairly rural in the country - nearest town etc 4 miles and I am surrounded by farmland.

However -

Unlike O2 - I have full signal at 4G - YES 4G.

My Home Broadband downloads at max 4Mb on a sunny day.

So next; I turned off the home Broadband Router.

Switched on Personal Hotspot on the iPhone and connected my Desktop and laptop computers to this new iPhone Wirelss Network.

I ran Speed Checker (speedchecker.com) on the desktop PC to test the up and download speeds.

Voila - Downloading at 35Mb - Yes I have said 35Mb

Pleased? You betcha.

Next step to Pay off the O2 Device balance of £130.00 - and then cancel contract as well as getting the PAC code.

Purchase new iPhone 6 from EE with a 20Gb Data and call plan and port my number over.

Cancel Wifes O2 PAYG SIM - sign her up to a 4Gb EE Data SIM plan and calls etc with (for the same price as we currently pay with O2 but half the service) and give her my iPhone 5S.

I am a happy bunny and will update as I progress.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Martin

Message 16 of 27

jonsie
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions
Message 17 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Excellent result @Anonymous 4G in a rural area?...Couldn't wish for more wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 27

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

For some people, could we be getting near to a point where the landline with adsl broadband can be completely replaced by a 4G MiFi router and mobile phone(s) ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 19 of 27

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Not where the OH lives slight_frown No 3G on O2 not even Edge, no 4G on EE or 3 and very intermittent 3G, and that's not that far from the M25.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 20 of 27