cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay as you go/Iphone 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I recently upgraded to the iPhone 6 and have given my mum my old iphone 5. We bought a new nano sim for her as the sim in her iPhone 4 obviously wouldn't have fitted in and as she has not got too many contacts to update a new number with we just bought a new sim so complete new number etc.

Paid £10 in store for the £10 'big bundle' and put into the phone. Straight away got a text message saying you have £10 credit..... yada yada yada...... however when you call to check the balance is has 0.00 balance?!

Am I totally missing something here?! Haven't had pay as you go for many years so can't remember how it works - do I need to activate it online or something? Help please!!!!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
As data is the most expensive part of the tariff, make sure you keep mobile data turned off on the handset if you drop to a credit only tariff.
You can still use WiFi for free but using mobile data will cost you £1 per day in these circumstances.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was simply explaining what would happen if the OP didn't top up on their anniversary date.

The 'answer' is what the OP chooses to do. wink

They have now lots of information to make an informed decision.
Message 12 of 23

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If no top up was made the phone would only work for incoming calls and texts.
To make outgoing calls you would have to top up which would invoke the allowances again (with a new anniversary date).
The only time standard costs would apply is if the allowances ran out during the month of use and there was additional credit on the account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you to all of you - very very helpful! Have a great day

Message 14 of 23

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You are welcome. Good luck whatever you decide to do. Bear in mind that you can change P&G tariff once in any 30 day period slight_smile

Message 15 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're Welcome from us all I'm sure. 😄
Message 16 of 23

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We appreciate that it can be confusing so don't worry about asking anymore questions if you have them, and hope it's a bit clearer for you now slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 17 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

So it seems Pay as you go is a misnomer and it's actually pay monthly, or is there another "true payg" tariff?

Message 18 of 23

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can choose one of the O2 Unlimited tariffs where you keep the credit and just top up when you have used it.

Message 19 of 23

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All options detailed here https://www.o2.co.uk/freesim/
As jonsie says, the unlimited tariffs allow you to keep your credit as well as some small allowances.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 23