cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 travel on new contracts

Anonymous
Not applicable

With the new iPhone contracts they're offering unlimited EU data. Does anybody know if this is 4G connection. The Internet connection on O2 travel right now is appalling. Also the new contracts say you get 120 mins and 120 text free in Europe. Is that daily or monthly?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
As fair as I know (and I am ready to be corrected), o2 does NOT have any 4G roaming agreements with anyone. 3G is available but as you say the speeds are variable...
Digging through the Ts & Cs, I would say it is a daily allowance as they show the o2 Travel conditions (which is daily).
One thing to note is the list of destinations included. It does not include all countries in Europe (geographically) only those in the European Union (politically).

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Any data will only be 3G at best and speeds will vary vastly from poor to just about usable. The limits quoted are daily allowances from midnight to midnight.

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

On this topic, I have also got a new phone, and it stipulates:

"Get a new iphone 7, iPhone 7 Plus or iPhone SE on our 5GB tariff or above, and you can use O2 Travel in the EU, for free"

Does this mean I do not pay the daily charge of £1.99? If i still need to pay it, what exactly does "free" refer to?

Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

On this topic, I have also got a new phone, and it stipulates:

"Get a new iphone 7, iPhone 7 Plus or iPhone SE on our 5GB tariff or above, and you can use O2 Travel in the EU, for free"

Does this mean I do not pay the daily charge of £1.99? If i still need to pay it, what exactly does "free" refer to?

As you already have the phone I am reliably informed that iPhone 7 users do indeed get this for free

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards/iphone-tariffs-with-unlimited-music-and-inclusive-o2-travel-terms-and-conditions

Absolutely incensed personally that this is a perk only for iPhone users...

Edit: Thanks to @adamtemp64 for giving me the info. Still incensed at the favouritism shown however...Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's silly that o2 can't do 4G in Europe. Other carriers do it fine. The internet speeds when abroad are so slow. It takes me 3-5mins to download a pic on whatsapp. Daily allowance is like 15mb till it slows down or something. And it's not fair we have to pay £2 whilst new contracts get it free. 

Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

That's silly that o2 can't do 4G in Europe. Other carriers do it fine. The internet speeds when abroad are so slow. It takes me 3-5mins to download a pic on whatsapp. Daily allowance is like 15mb till it slows down or something. And it's not fair we have to pay £2 whilst new contracts get it free. 

Only selected new iPhone contracts get O2 Travel for free @Anonymous

However, I go to Spain frequently and have the benefit of using WiFi a great deal. Any cafe or bars I visit I ask for the WiFi password as soon as I have placed my order wink

I also use Tugo for calls and texts over WiFi....I have no problems at all....

I realise this is area/country dependent, but feel it's important to put a different view out there...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it is important to point something out: it is not that o2 CAN'T do 4G in Europe, it is that they CHOOSE not to.

They have no infrastructure there, so they rely on other networks to provide it. And what they pay for is what is provided.

So if they do not pay for 4G, they will not get it.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I know, only the 5Gb or plus of data get the free travel. However the airtime price is lower than what I'm paying now and also I have pay £2 daily charge for being in Europe, which I am for about 20 days a month. I also travel a lot so don't always have access to wi fi hotspots. I think we pay more to O2 than other carriers charge and other carriers can afford to give their customers 4G in Europe.

Message 9 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
There's no excuse for o2 not agreeing to 4g roaming with at least EU carriers - It's just a financial decision they haven't taken, yet.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 12