Did you mean: 

O2's 4G Service is Non-Existant

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Sorry, but I feel I have to post about this.:smileysad:

Over the last 6 months, I have been noticing just how POOR, O2's 3G and 4G services have been - primarily, just how SLOW these services actually are on my iPhone 6.........

As part of my daily commute, I commute from Sanderstead train station, using the Southern E.Grinstead service, to London Bridge - Monday to Friday.

Sometimes, Sanderstead gives me 4G coverage but at other times, I only manage to receive 3G coverage. Smiley Indifferent

London Bridge rail station, however, is in a different league altogether.

My iPhone 6 ALWAYS dislays that I jave 4G coverage, HOWEVER, I can tell you right from the get go, that I DO NOT RECEIVE 4G COVERAGE AND THAT I AM LUCKY TO RECEIVE SPEEDS WHICH COMPLIENT GPRS COVERAGEShocked

Web pages take an absolute AGE to load (within this area), as do many of my apps which use data (facebook and twitter being the mani ones as they are both picture heavy).

I will get on the train at 5:15pm, and load up an app, however, the app will not kick into life for a good 10 minutes or so until the train actually pulls out of the station. There is me sitting there staring at a blank page on my phone, in a so called 4G area, waiting for O2s SLOW network to load something whilst other commuters are happily browsing their phones - WITH FULL PROPER, DECENT COVERAGE..... and quite frankly, I am sick of this.

Its not just at London Bridge either - its on the entire journey from London Bridge to Sanderstead. Random spots along the journey whereby 4G and also 3G just FAIL to load anything.  In this day and age - if a mobile operator can't even provide a reliable data signal whilst on a train, then whats the point.

My contract doesn't expire until September unfortunately but I can tell you this - I WILL be moving away from using O2. Enough is enough.............

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @DinoF, I'm talking to the team about this location, as well your issues. In the meantime, if you do try other devices there (or if anyone else has!), please do post here.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

The same in Stockport.  The coverage map says good use of 4g inside and out.  Well it is neither.  All it does is flatten my battery looking for 4g.  I therefore have 3G turned on all the time.  Not what I was hoping for and expecting.

Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here in worcester use to get 3g all the time in our city center but since 4g came along all we get is edge and thats worse but i must say at home 4g is fantastic but i dont need it here as we have wifi at home and thats the best option but in the city center should be perfect option for 4g but lack of makes all devices ive used on o2 pointless

Message 13 of 16

jrhop123
  • 37 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Same problem in Guildford area, 4G works OK if you can get it, which is sporadic at best. When it switches to 3G it is unusable, web pages do not load or take minutes to load, speed tests are below 0.5Mbps.

O2 clearly have a major widespread issue which they WILL NOT admit to. If I move out of a town/city 3G/4G works fine and I can get high speeds even on 3G, it is clearly an issue with congestion and lack of network capacity in moderatly populated areas.

O2 sort this out!!!

Message 14 of 16

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @jrhop123,

I'll talk to the team about this. What other areas do you see a change of signal in? As in specific towns/cities.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 15 of 16

jrhop123
Level 1: Joiner
  • 37 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Toby, thanks for your reply, I see the issue in Woking and any other areas where there are a lot of people. I often report it through the status page or My Network app, each time I get the same kind of response within 10-20 minutes, which is "we have checked and not found anything".

There is clearly quite a widespread issue from this post and many others. It's time O2 acknowledged it properly and makes steps to rectify the issue, the rollout of 4G isnt going to solve the problem unless it is available in all locations inside and outside buildings, phones are going to switch back to 3G, which used to work fine everywhere 2 years or so ago. So whether this issue is down to the rollout of 4G or the increase in devices, O2 needs to adapt and invest in improvements to their network to offer the service people are paying for, which currently doesn't work as expected. Which is unacceptable.

Message 16 of 16