cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Changes 7/4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I have been usng the free O2 Travel bolt on since 2016 as I travel to European countries quite often. I use it primarily to browse for when wifi is unattainable. I browse and I get charged £1.99 for the day. In terms of of making phone calls and text messages. If I text a UK number whilst in a European country I get charged 4p. So the overall current setup is:

"While travelling in Europe just pay a 50p connection charge to make and receive calls between European countries then talk for free for up to 60 mins. You'll pay just £1.99 for the days you use data in Europe & there’s no upper limit, but traffic management steps apply. £40 monthly spending limit for data outside Europe."

An email has been sent out from O2 stating changes to how O2 travel works. It now states that:

"From 7 th April 2016, we’ll be adding calls and texts sent back to the UK and within O2 Travel destinations, to the data you already get with our O2 Travel Bolt On. This will give you data, up to 120 minutes and 120 standard texts, per daily charge within selected destinations in Europe. With O2 Travel you’ll only be charged for the days that you use it."

My udnerstanding is that from 7/4 if I am in a European country and I text a UK number, rather than being charged 4p like I used to be, I will be charged £1.99.  Is this correct? I appreciate they are saying you can send up to 120 messages and still get charged £1.99 but I never send 120 messages. I usually send just a couple. By this logic, the £1.99  charged that was activated only when you used data, will now also be activated by sending a text message. If I send one text per day for 3 days I will end up paying £5.99? 

Can someone please verify tell me if I have misunderstood the change?

Thank you.

PS: I am not asking to be told about the different options to circumvent sending a text.. I just want to know that I have understood the changes correctly. slight_smile

Message 1 of 633
632 REPLIES 632

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Personally I never travel inside Europe these days. If they extended the £1.99 worldwide then I would be well pleased.

Message 11 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

Opt out it is then.

When I called to speak to an adviser, she wouldn't give me a yes or no answer. 

If you are going to make those kind of changes then at least be straight foward about it when customers ask for verification.

Thanks all slight_smile

Message 12 of 633

MI5
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
I've read the terms a few times to understand it and I believe the call connection charge has been dropped and you can also call other O2 travel destinations at no extra charge, so I believe that means that I can call a French number when in France, for example, out of my 120 mins per day - that's a great deal if I'm reading it correctly.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 633

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

@Anonymous I'll try and get clarification on this for you. I'll give you a @ mention when I have more info. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 14 of 633

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
And text and use the data too, so in your case you're just saving money all the way mi5
Message 15 of 633

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

There are going to be many angry customer service calls when people return from holiday and who don't use data but send the odd text.

Message 16 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that is the case.

Don't get me wrong, there are perks in the changes they are going to implement. 

However, it doesn't work for someone like myself who has always used the bolt on for data charge. 

It is very irksome to know that if I do not use data abroad, or even make a phone call, but choose to send one text in a day, I will get charged £1.99.

Message 17 of 633

MI5
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
And text and use the data too, so in your case you're just saving money all the way mi5

For me yes, I'm laughing, but low users will suffer unfortunately.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

Precisely Jonsie.

Message 19 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

What about using TUGO over wifi-I hope it won't trigger the charge.

Message 20 of 633