cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Changes 7/4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I have been usng the free O2 Travel bolt on since 2016 as I travel to European countries quite often. I use it primarily to browse for when wifi is unattainable. I browse and I get charged £1.99 for the day. In terms of of making phone calls and text messages. If I text a UK number whilst in a European country I get charged 4p. So the overall current setup is:

"While travelling in Europe just pay a 50p connection charge to make and receive calls between European countries then talk for free for up to 60 mins. You'll pay just £1.99 for the days you use data in Europe & there’s no upper limit, but traffic management steps apply. £40 monthly spending limit for data outside Europe."

An email has been sent out from O2 stating changes to how O2 travel works. It now states that:

"From 7 th April 2016, we’ll be adding calls and texts sent back to the UK and within O2 Travel destinations, to the data you already get with our O2 Travel Bolt On. This will give you data, up to 120 minutes and 120 standard texts, per daily charge within selected destinations in Europe. With O2 Travel you’ll only be charged for the days that you use it."

My udnerstanding is that from 7/4 if I am in a European country and I text a UK number, rather than being charged 4p like I used to be, I will be charged £1.99.  Is this correct? I appreciate they are saying you can send up to 120 messages and still get charged £1.99 but I never send 120 messages. I usually send just a couple. By this logic, the £1.99  charged that was activated only when you used data, will now also be activated by sending a text message. If I send one text per day for 3 days I will end up paying £5.99? 

Can someone please verify tell me if I have misunderstood the change?

Thank you.

PS: I am not asking to be told about the different options to circumvent sending a text.. I just want to know that I have understood the changes correctly. slight_smile

Message 1 of 633
632 REPLIES 632

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys - still seems a rather shonky practice especially when it isn't clear in the T&Cs

Message 601 of 633

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

It's not totally clear and you know, not even O2 staff are fully aware of O2 Travel changes. Best advice is always on here....

Message 602 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,travelling to the USA next month...has anyone been recently with these changes and if so was their decent coverage with 4G ? Or would it be better to get a US sim card once out there,thanks

Message 603 of 633

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
You won't get 4g as o2 do not have any 4g roaming agreements.
The best you'll get is 3g and if it's anything like the other travel destinations it will be next to useless.
I always use a local sim when abroad for data.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 604 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I honestly think you would be better to use a US sim if your phone is unlocked.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 605 of 633

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
100% agree
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 606 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks for your help Good Idea

Message 607 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Many thanks for your help Good Idea

No problem @Anonymous... Enjoy your trip....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 608 of 633

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Let us know how you get on please.

Currently using:
Message 609 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 Definitely and thanks again

Message 610 of 633