cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Changes 7/4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I have been usng the free O2 Travel bolt on since 2016 as I travel to European countries quite often. I use it primarily to browse for when wifi is unattainable. I browse and I get charged £1.99 for the day. In terms of of making phone calls and text messages. If I text a UK number whilst in a European country I get charged 4p. So the overall current setup is:

"While travelling in Europe just pay a 50p connection charge to make and receive calls between European countries then talk for free for up to 60 mins. You'll pay just £1.99 for the days you use data in Europe & there’s no upper limit, but traffic management steps apply. £40 monthly spending limit for data outside Europe."

An email has been sent out from O2 stating changes to how O2 travel works. It now states that:

"From 7 th April 2016, we’ll be adding calls and texts sent back to the UK and within O2 Travel destinations, to the data you already get with our O2 Travel Bolt On. This will give you data, up to 120 minutes and 120 standard texts, per daily charge within selected destinations in Europe. With O2 Travel you’ll only be charged for the days that you use it."

My udnerstanding is that from 7/4 if I am in a European country and I text a UK number, rather than being charged 4p like I used to be, I will be charged £1.99.  Is this correct? I appreciate they are saying you can send up to 120 messages and still get charged £1.99 but I never send 120 messages. I usually send just a couple. By this logic, the £1.99  charged that was activated only when you used data, will now also be activated by sending a text message. If I send one text per day for 3 days I will end up paying £5.99? 

Can someone please verify tell me if I have misunderstood the change?

Thank you.

PS: I am not asking to be told about the different options to circumvent sending a text.. I just want to know that I have understood the changes correctly. slight_smile

Message 1 of 633
632 REPLIES 632

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

You need to work out how much you are likely to use in way of calls and texts. As @MI5says, if you intend to use data at all then you really need to stay opted in.

Message 381 of 633

blissgirl
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 7199 Posts
  • 46 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Don't think calls will be a worry many texts but i use wifi where I can and I allways take my ipad with me (witch is wifi only)
iPhone 15 plus 128Gb light pink (with Vodafone) slight_smile
Message 382 of 633

GrahamW
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 21 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When do the new low rates come into effect ?

At the moment, according to the O2 web site "International hub", calls are still 16.5ppm.

Message 383 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

The standard rates came into effect as from yesterday according to this post by @Martin-O2

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-Travel-Changes-7-4/m-p/967847/highlight/true#...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 384 of 633

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@GrahamW Thanks for flagging this. We're looking into why that page has not been updated but I can confirm the new rates listed here and in my post above are in effect. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 385 of 633

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Not exactly news but I expect it will be on the BBC tomorrow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36171266

"UK consumers using their mobile phones in Europe will see reductions in their bills from Saturday.

Further caps are coming into effect on roaming - or connection - charges within all 28 countries of the European Union (EU).

From June next year, roaming charges in the EU will be abolished completely."

There is no news yet as to what charges will be if the UK votes to leave the EU....

Message 386 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

I was about to say we should stay in the EU then.....

Did you see the picture of the guy on that beach looking out to sea 'pretending' to make a call? Good networks/masts where he is?....Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 387 of 633

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions
Message 388 of 633

GrahamW
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 21 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Martin-O2 Thanks.

Is this page out of date too ?  It talks about in-EU data costs of £3 per MB !

http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/Tariffs/pm/pm_charges_terms.html

Message 389 of 633

MI5
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@GrahamW wrote:

@Martin-O2 Thanks.

Is this page out of date too ?  It talks about in-EU data costs of £3 per MB !

http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/Tariffs/pm/pm_charges_terms.html

There are literally hundreds of either broken links or pages with old out of date info on the website.

We used to report them but there are too many for us to keep up with.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 390 of 633