cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Changes 7/4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I have been usng the free O2 Travel bolt on since 2016 as I travel to European countries quite often. I use it primarily to browse for when wifi is unattainable. I browse and I get charged £1.99 for the day. In terms of of making phone calls and text messages. If I text a UK number whilst in a European country I get charged 4p. So the overall current setup is:

"While travelling in Europe just pay a 50p connection charge to make and receive calls between European countries then talk for free for up to 60 mins. You'll pay just £1.99 for the days you use data in Europe & there’s no upper limit, but traffic management steps apply. £40 monthly spending limit for data outside Europe."

An email has been sent out from O2 stating changes to how O2 travel works. It now states that:

"From 7 th April 2016, we’ll be adding calls and texts sent back to the UK and within O2 Travel destinations, to the data you already get with our O2 Travel Bolt On. This will give you data, up to 120 minutes and 120 standard texts, per daily charge within selected destinations in Europe. With O2 Travel you’ll only be charged for the days that you use it."

My udnerstanding is that from 7/4 if I am in a European country and I text a UK number, rather than being charged 4p like I used to be, I will be charged £1.99.  Is this correct? I appreciate they are saying you can send up to 120 messages and still get charged £1.99 but I never send 120 messages. I usually send just a couple. By this logic, the £1.99  charged that was activated only when you used data, will now also be activated by sending a text message. If I send one text per day for 3 days I will end up paying £5.99? 

Can someone please verify tell me if I have misunderstood the change?

Thank you.

PS: I am not asking to be told about the different options to circumvent sending a text.. I just want to know that I have understood the changes correctly. slight_smile

Message 1 of 633
632 REPLIES 632

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to opt out?

Message 611 of 633

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

How to opt out?

Text "NOTRAVEL"  to 23336 and you will be opted out and pay standard rates.

Do this before you travel.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 612 of 633

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 613 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5  ok finally been and got back,went with a 3 sim card (feel at home) and for 2 days struggled with slow message send times and slow data to the point of not worth bothering.

Eventually put the o2 card back in and found everything much better.No bill yet but if its 4.99 a day I'll stick with o2 sim in the future....No 4g but the 3g I got was much better than I remember it being here slight_smile

Thanks again for your help.

Message 614 of 633

MI5
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
Good to hear mate.
I've just got back from France and my data speeds were adequate for my usage this time, so things might be improving there.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 615 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5  ok finally been and got back,went with a 3 sim card (feel at home) and for 2 days struggled with slow message send times and slow data to the point of not worth bothering.

Eventually put the o2 card back in and found everything much better.No bill yet but if its 4.99 a day I'll stick with o2 sim in the future....No 4g but the 3g I got was much better than I remember it being here slight_smile

Thanks again for your help.

I find that very interesting @Anonymous as one of our members @Bambino is from the USA and travels frequently back there. He uses 3 Feel at Home with no issues at all. Mind you, he has a phone with a local sim and uses that at as well. I suspect it has a lot to do with the area you travel to?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 616 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd hazard a guess there is a better than average chance i done something wrong Smiley LOL  I'm just kinda glad o2 worked out ok

Message 617 of 633

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I'm in the US now and my Three sim works fine. I believe both O2 and Three use the AT&T network to roam here, so it shouldn't have made any difference which sim was being used, apart from where the OP was at the time.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 618 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I'm in the US now and my Three sim works fine. I believe both O2 and Three use the AT&T network to roam here, so it shouldn't have made any difference which sim was being used, apart from where the OP was at the time.

Thanks for a the confirmation @Bambino. Enjoy your time in the US...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 619 of 633

MI5
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
Network congestion or otherwise will obviously play a big part in performance.

Currently using:
Message 620 of 633