cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2/GiffGaff

Anonymous
Not applicable
I understand & know that GiffGaff is an mvno & uses O2 network to run on but just asking for a friend who is on GiffGaff..

Why do I on O2 have better signal when we are in the same place & they have less signal on GiffGaff which is the same service
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Didn't think of that
Message 11 of 34

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Signal meters are like fuel gauges in cars. ie a random indication of something somewhere near to reality. Even two indentical phones can sit side by side showing different signals.
Totally normal and nothing to be concerned about at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers mate
Message 13 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Signal meters are like fuel gauges in cars. ie a random indication of something somewhere near to reality. Even two indentical phones can sit side by side showing different signals.
Totally normal and nothing to be concerned about at all.

At last. An explanation I can understand Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 34

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

At last. An explanation I can understand Smiley Very Happy

Here is a better one specially for @Cleoriff  : 

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 15 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Absolutely brilliant @perksie  I love that show. PS...only you could have found that obscure video clip so quickly...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 34

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I think it really depends on a lot of factors such as the number of ASU units within a cell region. 

Arbitrary Strength Unit (ASU) is an integer value proportional to the received signal strength measured by the mobile phone.

Which is a fancy way of saying signal to strength ratio of a mobile cell, which the real measurement can calculated depending on the network type. GSM, 3G or LTE all have different ways of gauging this value in terms of strength. 

According to Wikipedia anyway.

I think GiffGaff may benefit from the MVNO with not using the same resources. O2 contract uses some different APN for the data network and if this is overloaded, busy or under the constant maintainance program they seem to be persuing then it will seem like O2 are comparitively slower. 

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 17 of 34

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Good find on the QI video clip.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 18 of 34

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Just to throw my 2p worth in..lol..I've had phones with one bar, which I thought must be a bad signal..and it performed far better than one with 3 bars wink x

giphy-3
Message 19 of 34

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Cairdeas wrote:

Just to throw my 2p worth in..lol..I've had phones with one bar, which I thought must be a bad signal..and it performed far better than one with 3 bars wink x

That's the odd thing, nobody has ever set a standard, so what you see is not surprising.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 20 of 34