Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Debt Collection issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Can anyone help with this?

Last year I ran up a large phone bill with O2 which I was unable to pay. It was passed to Wescot, a debt collection recovery agency, and I entered an agreement with them to pay £30 per month. I did this each month and didn't miss a payment. Last month I emailed them to see if they would accept a settlement figure for the oustanding balance and they came back to me with an offer after speaking to their client (O2). I was able to make the payment in full and did this. I was told my account with Wescot was now settled and would be closed and they would get O2 to update my credit file accordingly.

This week I emailed O2 to check my credit file had been updated and they have replied to say I still owe them in excess of £200. They say this is because the money I was paying to Wescot was for the device plan only, not the airtime plan which they are saying is separate. This is the first I know about this and at no point has it been pointed out that the two debts were separate. I would not have known anything about it had I not emailed O2 about my credit file. In all my time of paying Wescot £30 per month I have not had any correspondence from O2 about the outstanding airtime balanace. 

Has anyone else experienced this before?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's almost as if they wanted the customer to run up an additional unnecessary bill!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies. I was really pleased to pay off the settlement figure for what I thought was my debt with O2. Now I'm really panicked and stressed about this outstanding amount which is £215. The settlement figure was £280.

I don't understand why they wouldn't have combined the two together from the very start and not be chasing me for this overdue airtime amount.
Message 12 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
O2 logic !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 18

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous ......on here O2's systems are renowned for not working correctly, you're not the first to suffer the effects and no doubt you won't be the last.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 14 of 18

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
So settlement was 280...
But you also been paying 30 a month since last year( maybe 300)
And you were on a device plan since Feb 2014? (another year+ of payments? 300?)

These figures seem high for a device plan that's half paid off?

Message 15 of 18

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
My point being, you sure O2 didn't add in airtime to the debt
Message 16 of 18

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
If the OP started their contract in Feb 2014, but was diconnected at around this time last year that would give around 6-7 months of payments missed. Depending on the handset and tariff they chose some have monthly handset payments of £25 per month, which would mean the OP had an outstanding device balance of £150 - £175.

Given the balance they have paid to Westcott of £300 this would point to airtime being included (assuming an average again of £25 per month (although many are lower)) would total the £300 area.

Then again, I don't know how Westcott operate, they could add charges, legal fee's, etc onto what the OP owes, which could have also brought this figure up?
Message 17 of 18

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions