cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Debt Collection - Dispelling The Myths

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have seen numerous threads on here from members who say they didn't realise they owed o2 any monies after their contract ended.

Some said they weren't aware.
Some said they weren't contacted.
Some had defaults on their Credit File.
Some thought bailiffs would come a knocking.

So to dispel the myths, here is what actually happens when someone ends their agreement with o2 but doesn't clear the debt. .......

Firstly it is important for people to understand that o2, like most major companies dealing in consumer markets, update credit files every month with your payment history. This helps to reduce fraud and losses. If you don't pay your bill on time (or within a few days) your credit file will show this.

At the end of your agreement:

O2 will first issue a final bill and that will be sent by the same format as previous bills, usually electronically.

In the event of non payment, o2 will try to contact the debtor by the method the customer requested at the beginning of their agreement i.e. by email or by letter. O2 will try up to 4 times to contact the debtor.

Due to the volumes, o2 will not chase small debts by telephone. The cost to do so would be enormous and born by ongoing customers.

In the event of non payment, like most companies who offer services on any form of credit or under contract to consumers, o2 will update the payment records with the major credit reference agencies.

When consumers like you and I seek to borrow money or start a new contract for goods or services, a credit check may be taken. If a debtor has default(s) on their credit file this will show up. It is then up to the company to decide if they want to supply you or not.

O2 may, if the outstanding debts warrant this, pass the debts to 3rd party debt collection companies. These companies use a variety of methods to contact the debtor and try to reach an acceptable payment plan. Note these companies are not bailiffs. Nor do they have bailiff powers.

Ok so now we know what o2 do, let's dispel some of the myths. Let's see what o2 DON'T do. .....

O2 do not employ bailiffs.
O2 do not sell the debt.
O2 do not instruct bully boy doorstep debt collectors.
O2 do not destroy credit files.

Remember, if you owe the debt, pay it. Leave your direct debit in place until the final payment has been collected. If you can't afford to pay the final balance in one go, talk to o2 and discuss a payment plan. But please, don't ignore it. It won't go away and as we have seen before it can result in problems later down the line which will cause the debtor stress and hassle which could do easily have been avoided.
Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Pop back on Monday and see if you have had a response from @Toby wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

When I was reading this some things were not 100% clear...So if you don't mind, in order to give you the best advice, I'll ask you  a few questions , if that's ok with you?

When you say that it was agreed the charges were wrong, can you tell me who has done that? Was it a manager? Also, the high level complaints team does exist, It's that email address that @Cleoriff just gave you and they have the last saying. If you want to take this further, you will need a deadlock letter from them. And unfortunately you are right about the debt collectors, they will not stop, O2 has to tell them to stop if it's applicable.

Message 32 of 59

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Send an email to the CEO's office with all the history of this issue.
I'm not allowed to give you the email address on here but it's easily got from Google.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 33 of 59

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There used to be an in house complaints team called Farside ,  my wife worked on that team for 3 years....are you saying it still exists?

Message 34 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the High level complaints team now @jonsie . I think there are no teams left in there though.

I've got the most of them based here, but I think there are more teams somewhere else...

Message 35 of 59

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Where are you based @Anonymous and how does one actually get to speak to them? Genuine question. ...

Message 36 of 59

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Where are you based @Anonymous and how does one actually get to speak to them? Genuine question. ...

Slough, Preston Brook?

Message 37 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

South yorkshire @jonsie, DV.

Message 38 of 59

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

"In the event of non payment, o2 will try to contact the debtor by the method the customer requested at the beginning of their agreement i.e. by email or by letter. O2 will try up to 4 times to contact the debtor."

This is total nonsense.

I had a £36 debt that i was unaware of transferred to a debt agency without a single attempt made to contact me by text, email or letter. This was admitted to me by the person I spoke to at the payment centre.

Yet O2 will not move the black mark from my credit file. Absolutely appalling if this is the way they treat people.

Message 40 of 59