cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 4G is here - and ..............

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been trying unsuccessfully for months to find out when O2 might extend 4G coverage to Northern Ireland.  If the Gurus know they are not telling and when I checked on O2's online Network Coverage checker this morning it simply said there is no 4G coverage in that location.  So I was very surprised to receive a text message from O2 at about 17:00 hrs today saying "O2 4g is here".  Then came a bigger surprise.  "We are giving you access at no extra cost from 24 April"  There is  a link to "find out how to set up  so you can use 4G when you are out and about...."

Now call me a cynic - but WHAT IS THE CATCH?  I have a Galaxy S4 that I got from O2 in February 2014.  Will I need a new SIM Card?  Will I need to download many gigabytes of new software?  Will it upset all my stored data, contacts etc etc?

What pit falls should I be looking for?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

to get 4g you need to be:
1 - In a 4g location
2 - Have 4g turned on in settings
3 - Have a 4g sim card
4 - have a 4g tariff.

1, 3 & 4 should be covered but you may need a small carrier update from O2 to be able to enable 4G.
Check in settings, mobile networks to see if you can choose LTE preferred.....

ps. It won't delete or upset any of your data or contacts etc.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MI5 - not quite sure what LTE preferred means.  My S4 seems to be set to select preferred network automatically, though a list of 4 operators is shown O2, vodafone uk, EE and 3UK. The selected Network mode is shown as 4G/3G/2G(auto connect).

Don't know what I am getting excited about since I don't really use that much streaming.  Not in to muisc and videos and fast moving games.  I just like a fast internet connection for the things I do like and if 4G can help then I'd like it.

Message 3 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Some phones say LTE and some say 4G, but it "means" the same thing - Sounds like you should be all setup ready to go slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh good - will let you know how it goes.  Hope the few grey cells I have left can cope with it all.

Message 5 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Once you have 4G @Anonymous you'll love it.

I typically attain 50mbps download speeds which are faster than my fibre optic broadband.

Obviously speeds will be different across the Uk.

Message 6 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I stayed on 3g instead of moving to 4G due to coverage.

I live 8 miles south of London and in a pretty urban area but for some reason the coverage is better in the middle of the golf course behind my house than it is in a road full of shops lol

Message 7 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is weird how coverage fluctuate.

Structures and trees etc can affect signal.

Hopefully as the Network improves you'll be able to take up these awesome 4G speeds.
Message 8 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gerry, where in NI are you? I can probably bet that if 4G launches soon in NI (finally) it'll be for Belfast first, then Derry, then a few months before the 2017 deadline, most other parts will get it.
Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is no catch they are doing thus now think it's to match 3 all great for the customer slight_smile
Message 10 of 24