cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non monthly pay as you go - where did it go?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been living in Portugal, visiting UK and working in Oman and I had three PAYG SIM cards. I kept the cards topped up with credit and used whichever I needed. I have often been away from UK for months, but still had credit on the O2 card. I got to UK last month and my O2 SIM card had died. No problem, I'll get another - or not!

I got a new card at a phone shop - after explaining exactly what I wanted and put on £10 credit. The credit changed to £0 and I found that I had a 'bundle' of credited time and texts. I did not use the phone at all and after a month I lost the credit - money, time and text.

Since then I have been trying to get to a simple PAYG tariff. Add credit - use it per call when I like - it does NOT expire. I can buy this type of card in the post office in Portugal, but in UK it is as if the existence of this type of card has been erased from everyone's memory. I get blank looks and told that there is no problem with topping up when I like, but it will only last for 30 days, or I must pay a minimum every month, use it or not.

That is NOT pay as you go. That is pay monthly. Does PAYG exist anymore in UK?

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

For most of us @Toby. It is whether the Payg Basic Tariff still exists? It had it's own link up till a month ago but now it only shows an 'Oops page not found' error message

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 41 of 55

MI5
  • 144176 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Toby

Question is: Does the O2 Basic PAYG tariff still exist and is it available to all or by invitation only?

If by invitation only, what criteria must be met for the invitation?

Thanks

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 42 of 55

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Thanks both, very helpful indeed. I want to do this as much as I can for you all to learn and be as aware as possible, so if you're ever in need, write out what you need in the form of short questions like this, as it will speed up the process. I don't mean to come across as lazy by any means; Merely more efficient wink

I'll report back as soon as I can.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 43 of 55

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

If its still available @Toby a link that works would be good.....

I think it's a goner because even the t&c's have been removed.

Message 44 of 55

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys

Some existing tariffs may no longer become available and may be replaced. Have a look at our current Pay & Go tariffs here > http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo

Get involved:

Message 45 of 55

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @jonsie

Everything on that page is current, sometimes older tariffs need to 'run out' on a certain member's plans. I hope that makes sense slight_smile

Get involved:

Message 47 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi @jonsie

Everything on that page is current, sometimes older tariffs need to 'run out' on a certain member's plans. I hope that makes sense slight_smile

From the above comment I would think the Basic Tariff is no longer available for NEW customers?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 48 of 55

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes that's always been the case,  anyone on a certain tariff can remain on it. As Basic is no longer listed I'll take it that like the parrot in Monty Python it's dead, deceased, extinct, defunct, parted company and no longer exists

Message 49 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Yes that's always been the case,  anyone on a certain tariff can remain on it. As Basic is no longer listed I'll take it that like the parrot in Monty Python it's dead, deceased, extinct, defunct, parted company and no longer exists

Quite!!

I have been getting the Oops Error message for the last 4 weeks (every time I have tried to access the Basic

Tariff link)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 50 of 55