cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non monthly pay as you go - where did it go?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been living in Portugal, visiting UK and working in Oman and I had three PAYG SIM cards. I kept the cards topped up with credit and used whichever I needed. I have often been away from UK for months, but still had credit on the O2 card. I got to UK last month and my O2 SIM card had died. No problem, I'll get another - or not!

I got a new card at a phone shop - after explaining exactly what I wanted and put on £10 credit. The credit changed to £0 and I found that I had a 'bundle' of credited time and texts. I did not use the phone at all and after a month I lost the credit - money, time and text.

Since then I have been trying to get to a simple PAYG tariff. Add credit - use it per call when I like - it does NOT expire. I can buy this type of card in the post office in Portugal, but in UK it is as if the existence of this type of card has been erased from everyone's memory. I get blank looks and told that there is no problem with topping up when I like, but it will only last for 30 days, or I must pay a minimum every month, use it or not.

That is NOT pay as you go. That is pay monthly. Does PAYG exist anymore in UK?

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
The basic tariff was never listed on the standard O2 PAYG tariff page, so that doesn't answer the question directly, but, like the rest of you, I decode it as being now defunct.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 51 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
The basic tariff was never listed on the standardO2PAYG tariff page, so that doesn't answer the question directly, but, like the rest of you, I decode it as being now defunct.

True. The link for Basic Tariff was separate....but only gives you an error message now...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 52 of 55

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Not an option any longer is my interpretation but a simple yes or no from @Toby seems to be like pulling teeth. ....

Message 53 of 55

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Not an option any longer is my interpretation but a simple yes or no from @Toby seems to be like pulling teeth. ....

We do have it but you need the special code and a certain type of handshake in order to get it! LOL

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 54 of 55

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Straight answers are like the old rocking horse proverbial but I get the gist reading through the lines however unclear they are.....

Message 55 of 55