cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to O2 - Slow Data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I am looking to change provider and have purchased a pay as you go sim to try out O2 for coverage and data rates before comitting to a monthly contract.

I have 3 main criteria:

1. Voice coverage particularly at home
  2. Reasonable data speeds
  3. Acceptable customer service

Point 1 seems OK; however I seem to be having problems with download speeds. Speed checker shows this as 0.15Mbps on HSDPA with 4 bar signal, which frankly is less than the minimum criteria for 3G. Web site shows no problems in my area.

Am I doing something wrong, or it it often this slow?

As far as customer service goes, am I not convinced yet, my first impression was that the sales person may have been economical with the truth. Essentially he tried to sell me a monthly SIM contract when I asked for PAYG. When he realised that I actually wanted PAYG (ie. no commission for him) he stated that PAYG uses different network masts and therefore would not provide the same coverage. I work in the industry and know this is not normally how an operator sets up their network. Could someone confirm whether this is actually the case for O2?

I am a realist when it comes to customer service and will tolerate a certain amout of incompetence; however I draw the line at being lied to and being treated with comptempt slight_smile

With this in mind, does anyone have feedback on O2 that I should be aware of?

Regards,

P.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the forum.

They said PAYG accounts uses different masts to contracts ! Well that's false.

You can check speed by downloading the MYNETWORK APP too but beware these can use 40mb+ of data.

The network is suffering from some congestion right now in places due to upgrading going on to the masts.

Speed depends on where you are. I'm in Leeds on 4G and attain 50mpbs download speeds but this can fluctuate.

Check here to see what's your mast status is at http://status.o2.co.uk

I found no issue with customer service when I've needed to use them. However try not to use the online Live Chat for account enquiries. They are fine for low level general enquiries.

Take some time to peruse the forum to check out posts from other members and or use the search bar to see how others find the network too.
Message 2 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Points 1 and 3 seem ok. If you can use the phone for calls and texts especially at home then that is probably the main criteria. Customer service is ok although there has been a decline in standards in my opinion since outsourcing of some calls overseas and their reliance towards webchat.

As for data, that is unlikely to improve until the masts have been upgraded. Best estimate, end of 2017 as O2 won't publish timescales for individual area rollout of 4G. I presume having wifi at home then the problem won't be such an issue there, but if there are poor data speeds and connection at work and in your normal areas of travel, then that would be a deal breaker for me.

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
3G is appalling in most places across the UK at the moment. The speeds you are seeing is fairly typical. If you are in a 4G area it is much better (min 20mbps) but forget 3G (O2 have !!!!!)
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
3G is appalling in most places across the UK at the moment. The speeds you are seeing is fairly typical. If you are in a 4G area it is much better (min 20mbps) but forget 3G (O2 have !!!!!)

I would put that 4G figure lower and say minimum around 10Mbps but where it's not congested 40 - 50 Mbps.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 5 of 5