cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sim cards

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had a Sony Xperia J on contract for 12 months. No probs until a couple of weeks ago when I could not get the network.Phoned help and a new sim was deliverd 2 days later. Inserted sim, nothing happening with the phone. Ok the next step is to take out the new sim and give it a bit of a clean. Try to slide out tne new sim only to find a sim child hiding as an insert in the normal sized sim. As I tried to slide out the sim  it became entangled with the contacts  in effect killing the phone. I talked to o2 who told me it was accidental damage not covered by the warranty. Has anyone else had the same problem? My phone is **bleep**ed by a sim card sent to me  by o2. Where do I turn to next?n M

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Unfortunately this would come under accidental damage and would not be covered by warranty, the Xperia j only had a 12 month warranty so that period has expired also.
You may be able to claim via any household insurance so it may be beneficial to check with any providers you may have.
It is unfortunate that the sim damaged the contacts but unfortunately any sim insertion should be done with absolute care as the sim contacts are quite delicate.
Not sure what I would do in this case as any insurance excess would probably be more than you can get the phone for in places.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Unfortunately this would come under accidental damage and would not be covered by warranty, the Xperia j only had a 12 month warranty so that period has expired also.
You may be able to claim via any household insurance so it may be beneficial to check with any providers you may have.
It is unfortunate that the sim damaged the contacts but unfortunately any sim insertion should be done with absolute care as the sim contacts are quite delicate.
Not sure what I would do in this case as any insurance excess would probably be more than you can get the phone for in places.

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
As you did it yourself, you won't be able to get O2 to do anything about it

Your best bet is to buy yourself a new phone
Message 3 of 5

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I would send it to Sony, there's a chance they might take pity and work something out for you.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
£25 at most phone shops to get a new sim reader installed - that's what I'd be doing and then I'd check I wasn't forcing the wrong sized sim in when it was back from repair.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5