cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nano sim and iphone advice

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, i currently have an iphone 3gs but i'm planning on upgrading when apple inevitably releases the new iphone in the next month or so. I know i'll be needing a new sim (a nano sim probably), so i was wondering a couple of things....

a) if i sim swap can i stay on the same tariff (i'm on text and web, which seems much better than pay & gogogo for my needs)?

b) if i order a new nano sim on pay & go will it come with the adapters for standard and micro sims should i need to swap devices (it's mentioned that it comes with pay monthly/ business nao sims but not pay & go)

c) is it free for pay & go...i read somewhere there's a fee for those of us on pay & go

any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

You can pick up a blank nano sim from any 02 shop and they will do a swap my sim for you which moves your tariff , number and credit over to the new sim.

You can pick up the adapters from the store free of charge.

I would assume the new iPhone 5s/6 will be a nano sim size sim tray. Hopefully we will find out on the 10/9.

Their is no charge for a blank sim.

A new customer walking in are sometimes asked to top up £10 on the SIM card to activate it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

You can pick up a blank nano sim from any 02 shop and they will do a swap my sim for you which moves your tariff , number and credit over to the new sim.

You can pick up the adapters from the store free of charge.

I would assume the new iPhone 5s/6 will be a nano sim size sim tray. Hopefully we will find out on the 10/9.

Their is no charge for a blank sim.

A new customer walking in are sometimes asked to top up £10 on the SIM card to activate it.
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks!

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your welcome.

Looking forward to the new iPhone release ?
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah.... obviously my phones getting on a bit so i need a new one lol. The features on the 5S do look pretty dang nifty. What do you think of it?

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah.... obviously my phones getting on a bit so i need a new one lol. The features on the 5S do look pretty dang nifty. What do you think of it?

I'm currently using the iphone 5 so the iPhone 5s is the natural upgrade.

A7 Chip.

Better camera.

Lte/4G 

Whats not to like ?

I buy mine sim free unlocked from the Apple Store and not by locking into a contract.

wink

Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I wonder if I can do the same although I'm using Blackberry (on Blackberry Text and Web tariff where I top up £15 to get the data allowance on top of that credit). I'm planning to get an unlocked iphone 5s, do you think I can continue my tariff to the new phone? Thanks a lot! slight_smile

Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I wonder if I can do the same although I'm using Blackberry (on Blackberry Text and Web tariff where I top up £15 to get the data allowance on top of that credit). I'm planning to get an unlocked iphone 5s, do you think I can continue my tariff to the new phone? Thanks a lot! slight_smile

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello @Anonymous

Welcome to the Community Forum.

Yes you can move your mobile number and tariff across from your current sized sim card to the new nano sim card. Get a specific account related blank sim card from any O2 store, and they will perform the swap for you, or perform it yourself at home via http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

It takes from up to 24 hours to fully complete. Turning airplane mode on and off throughout this period helps reset the network connection.

You may need to look here if the Carrier Settings do not update automatically.

To do this, tap Settings > General > About. Then follow the prompt to complete the carrier settings update. Or connect to iTunes and be prompted instantly to update the carrier settings.

Also you may need to speak to CS to ensure your taken off any Blackberry tariff and placed on an iPhone {idata} plan. If you have a blackberry bolt on then cancel it.

If your in a 4G area then you can opt to choose a 4G tariff.

You can check your city/ area here : http://www.o2.co.uk/4g/coverage-and-cities

Look at the links from Brad in this link : http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/4G-Text-Campaign/td-p/621674

If your on Payg then here are the links to change to 4G http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo

When you place the nano sim into the iPhone 5c you should get all the set up messages. If not send ACTIVE to 2020, save the returned settings and turn your airplane mode on and off to reset the network connection.

Alternatively the apn settings are here : http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/chapter/595-04-how-to-set-apn-settings-for-the-02-mobile-network

You can view the Apn settings in your phone by navigating to :

Settings > Mobile > Mobile Data Network.

Also think about creating an Apple i.d

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

Let us know how you get on.

Message 8 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Blackberry text & web won't work on an iPhone. You can keep your number but will need a different tariff.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I know I need an iphone-related tariff. I just wondered cause I saw the first post of this thread (using iphone text&web instead of pay&gogogo) and I'd prefer text&web slight_smile Thanks
Message 10 of 15