cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Spain but have existing contract in UK

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! I have an O2 Unlimited Contract due for renewal on 24th September 2015. I currently pay £20 a month for the contract with an iPhone. 

I'm moving away to Tenerife (Spain) in the near future and wondered what my options are... O2 is a Telefonica company... is there any way I can transfer it across to a Spanish contract, pay the same price and receive the same benefits (That would be ideal!) 

If not, would I be able to transfer the contract to someone else and would it work on their phone? I would want to keep my iPhone and use it in Tenerife if possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

1 O2 and Telefonica operate totally diferant business models so swapping your contract will not happen

2 You can pass your contract sim to someone else but you remain liable for the credit risk debt collection etc

3 You could pay up the remainder of the contract to close the account

But just ensure you request the iphone unlock now whilst the sim is still in your control

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

1 O2 and Telefonica operate totally diferant business models so swapping your contract will not happen

2 You can pass your contract sim to someone else but you remain liable for the credit risk debt collection etc

3 You could pay up the remainder of the contract to close the account

But just ensure you request the iphone unlock now whilst the sim is still in your control

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
@adamtemp64 I thought it was possible to transfer the contract to someone else if they pass the credit check leaving the new holder liable
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Thanks for that clarification @adamtemp64 wink

The OP was thinking the same as I did with my constant travel to and from Spain. I imagined that Telefonica

would provide me with 'reciprocal benefits' as I was an O2 customer.

Of course,  as you say, no such agreement exists.

(in the same way I bank with Barclays in Spain and thought I could draw money from my Barclays UK  

account...That was another costly error of judgement) Crazy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 10

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous can you clarify as the quoted thread is still unclear

Apple Watch series 4

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Adam, looks like I'll just have to transfer payment details to someone I can trust won't abuse it. It would be way too much for me to pay off.

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Instead of taking the phone you could sell it and use the funds to help pay it off.
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@Anonymous can you clarify as the quoted thread is still unclear

Hiya,

In terms of a consumer to consumer, basically it's a migration of a number, it can't happen mid term without paying term fee's.

The new account holder would take out a contract in their own name and then the old and new account holders together call o2 and they will then migrate the number from the original contract to the new one thus closing the old account down. It's more suited to parents who have taken out contracts for kids, or after a relationship breakdown.

Message 9 of 10

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous thanks

Apple Watch series 4

Message 10 of 10