cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Ireland from UK but signed up to 24 month contract? Any ideas what I can do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all when I took out a two year contract with O2 via Carphone Warehouse in December 2013 I had not planned to be moving back to Ireland but the house price rise in the UK has left me with no other option!

I contacted 02 Shop last year and explained my situation however all they sated was because I went through Carphone Warehouse instead of O2 Directly then all they could advise is that they would unlock the phone and I could sell it on Ebay and then repay the full contract? There must be an easier option than that as I wish to keep my iPhone 5c ? Any Ideas Please? Thomas Madden

Message 1 of 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Sadly there isn't much else you can do. If you got the phone via O2 and had a refresh contract you could have paid off the handset part and cancelled the airtime contract.

Your only other option is to get someone you trust to take over the contract (maybe a family member) who can use the simcard but the responsibility for payments would dtill lie ultimately with yourself.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

You have to pay off the remaining months of your contract, regardless. How ever you finance it is your choice.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 24

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Sadly there isn't much else you can do. If you got the phone via O2 and had a refresh contract you could have paid off the handset part and cancelled the airtime contract.

Your only other option is to get someone you trust to take over the contract (maybe a family member) who can use the simcard but the responsibility for payments would dtill lie ultimately with yourself.

Message 3 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did nt want to do this as then will never touch O2 again but maybe there is no loyalty from them as there was from me over the years?

Message 4 of 24

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
What was it you were expecting exactly (bearing in mind you agreed to a legally binding 2 year contract) ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Life is a----- and then you die!
Message 6 of 24

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 7 of 24

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
True, but mine was a genuine question......?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

If this was me I would accrue the funds by selling some items or using any disposable income and pay off the contract and end it.

Help link http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...

Be sure to have the phone unlocked to all networks which is free for contract customers.

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Let us know how you get on.
Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
The reason I got it through CPW was because they offered me a better deal than when I went yo an O2 Shop?
Message 10 of 24