O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 1: Joiner
Rhysjohn

Moving Abroad with iPhone

Hello.

I have an iPhone and 13 months left on my contract. I've hit a snag however, as I'm now required to move abroad. Usually i'd assume that i would have to leave my contract running or pay it off in full and buy a new contract in the country i'm moving to, but O2 have made this more complicated.

Since my iphone is locked to O2, i assume i am unable to do this. therefore, when i move, is my phone now completely useless? Is it possible to transfer my contract to one of telefonica's other networks? I'm not going to be happy if i have to continue paying £40/month for a phone i can never use again.

Any help appreciated.
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 953
Solutions: 1,018

You can pay the rest of the contract up if o2 agree but the phone will not be unlocked by o2 so you cannot use the iphone on another network.

I suggest your best bet is to ring customer services and explain your situation as these forums are customer based I.E no official input from o2.
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
Rhysjohn

Well, i was hoping that they'd be able to transfer the contract over to another one owned by Telefonica who own O2, since technically that's not "another" network, just the same one with a different name in a different country.

It's a long shot for sure. Honestly it's just another example of these companies screwing honest people over by introducing ridiculous "safety" features to prevent products being used in a manner they dont like.

I guess if they can't help me with a network transfer, i'll be forced to take the matter into my own hands, which i'd assume you're not allowed to discuss here :smileywink:

Thanks for the help. I'll call them and ask about a transfer. Hope they can help out!
Please use plain text.
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
prking

Hang on there mate, you signed up to a contract, you committed to a minimum term with O2-UK. And you knew that the iPhone is exclusive to O2.

After all its not O2's fault that you 'have' to move abroad.

The first thing to do is see what O2 say, perhaps you could transfer the contract to someone else, perhaps they will let you pay off the contract. But in the end you made a legally binding contract and might have to stick with it.
No - there isn't an app for it.
Please use plain text.
Sorclive

What if you have not signed any sort of contract with O2, but you are on a pay and go?? and at the time of purchase you were told that the phone was NOT sim locked (I live abroad and had no idea as they are not locked here in italy and the cost was the same!!!)
Please use plain text.
DaveC
Topics: 23
Kudos: 77
Solutions: 24

If you have not upgraded to 3.1 do a Google
To contact O2 click "Contact us" at the bottom of any O2 page, and click the service you need, or wait for "Live Chat" to appear.

Mobile since 1993
Please use plain text.
Sorclive

Unfortunately I did, not knowing what I was doing!
Please use plain text.