cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile not receiving calls

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I am Phil, for several days now my mobile offers the message 'the phone is switched off' whenever anyone tries to call. I obviously do not know they have tried to call unless they contact me in some other way. This is now becoming a real problem. I went to my local O2 shop in Dewsbury to be told it is a local network problem, but had no idea when the problem would be sorted - help!!
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Just to eliminate one problem take the SIM out and wipe with a soft cloth before reinserting. This will also have the effect of resetting your connection to the network.

As far as Soft and Hard resets go, I've always understood that a Hard reset takes you back to factory settings whereas a soft reset removes programs and data from memory and is most simply achieved by a power cycle.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

You can check your masts status here http://status.o2.co.uk/

Look at the planned maintenance too.

Unfortunately O2 do not provide status updates ref repairs or upgrades to masts.

Does this happen just at home or everywhere ?

If your a pay monthly customer and have broadband then you could look at o2's Tugo

Whatsapp and Viber are alternatives for Payg.

If this is mast congestion then theirs not much you can do.

A good link is : http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-ev...

You could try cancelling all diverts by dialling ##002# just incase a divert has been applied.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref(user):str(Mobile),C...

As a process of elimination are you able to try your SIM card in an alternative phone or try a Payg sim in your current phone to see if this situation still exists.

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

sometimes a fix can just be as simple as removing the simcard and leaving this out for a couple of mins doing this completeley logs you off the network and then logs you back on when you re-insert the sim card (known as a hard reset) this often and sometimes iradictates the problem 

give it a try and let us know

Jay 

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Isn't that known as a soft reset jay

A hard reset is typically a process of button presses or menu operations to take the phone back to factory conditions , which can also delete saved data.
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

a hard reset is taking the battery and sim out whilst the phone is switched on 

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
A hard reset is the same as a factory reset and wipes all data it doesn't involve removing the SIM card
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
That is correct bob a hard reset has always been that
Message 8 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
If you have a mast problem you'll just have to wait until O2 fix it.
Usually they get resolved within a week but sometimes can take longer depending on nature of fault.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 10

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Just to eliminate one problem take the SIM out and wipe with a soft cloth before reinserting. This will also have the effect of resetting your connection to the network.

As far as Soft and Hard resets go, I've always understood that a Hard reset takes you back to factory settings whereas a soft reset removes programs and data from memory and is most simply achieved by a power cycle.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 10 of 10